You know on expressways you have a ticket that you get when you enter, then pay when you leave - do they have machines when you pay that tell them all sorts of info about your journey...including your average speed? It would be easy to have that, knowing the time you started and the time you ended. Just think - instant speed bookings!!

They don't have them, but they could easily get them installed. Just think. First you go through the barries and pay, next you go through a second Police Barrier to pay them for speeding. 90% of people speed on the expressways don't they?

nah they wont do that! in less than three years all trucks will have regulators to keep them at 90kmph. Most people stop once for a piss break or gas so your average speed would be down under 80kmph. Dont worry.

When I moved from Okinawa to Misawa, we drove the length of Japan on the expressways. The max speed that we saw was 80kmh with the exception being an area north of Tokyo where the speed limit was 100kmh for a relatively short difference.

Many of the signs are electronically controlled so they can change them to 50kmh during bad weather.

I usually do 120 on dry pavement if the temps are above freezing, and there are people that pass me like I was standing still...

I do 120 max anything more than that is just a waste of gas for me. Even if you stop for 5 to 10 minutes it will affect your overall highway speed. Ray its nice when the forces pay your highway fees lucky boy.

FT - I have to pay tolls myself. They did pay when I moved up here but that was cause it was cheaper to do that than to pay for air fare from Okinawa.

Japan has few "bummers" but one that sticks out is how much it costs to travel within Japan. Toll roads, express/bullet trains, and air fare. If you want to go anywhere - you gotta pay...its doubled the cost of my snowboarding thats for sure...