I've never suffered from hayfever but know that a ton of people over here get it badly each year. I also heard that people who never had it before can end up getting it. Has anyone had this happen whilst living in Japan? How did you find out? What are the symptoms etc?

I had never had it until moving here. I'm not quite sure why either. I went to college in the 'grass seed capital of the World' (corvallis, Oregon) and never had allergies. Apparently it's true. other friends have experienced the same as me upon moving here. I have no reasons for it though.

All through the year there are different types of grasses and trees pollinating - probably including some that are new to you. Also exhaust fumes, especially diesel, are supposed to make hayfever worse. There are a lot of diesel vehicles in Japan...

These might be factors.

O-11, I think you nailed it.

Pollens of all kinds exist everywhere and esp in Japan the dreaded cedar angel dust is way out of balance.

Compounded by the overload of particulate matter in the air many people suffer doubly.

What to do?

Gargling definitely helps sore throats from progressing and I've only found drug store drugs somewhat effective in the nose and eye department.

Which leaves the age old cure all remedy as the most favoured treatment- alcohol - to be taken as often as required in the form of your choice. \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by snobee:
...esp in Japan the dreaded cedar angel dust is way out of balance.
A few of the J guys at work were discussing this last week. They were blaming America for planting so many Cedar trees some decades ago. I didn't get the jist of the theory, tuned out, vacant stare, mind set to cycle.

W*nkers! mad.gif It was their own corrupt government that did it and still is!! It was their own dear LDP that has destroyed nearly all of Japan's native and non-allergenic forests, thus depriving the native fauna a place to live and the native people an income from forest produce and tourism.

While the US bears responsibility for installing and maintaining the corrupt government here, the supine reaction of the Japanese people to the corruption is their own responsibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the % of sufferers has been increasing over time. Luckily I'm not one of them-used to get it really bad when I lived in Christchurch but not in other parts of NZ. It sucks and I feel sorry for anyone affected by it.