I don't really need public transport to get from my kitchen to my office upstairs.

But I didn't used to like having my cobblers baked on train seats when I commuted. If it were summer and the Japanese had to face such temperatures, you can bet they would all be saying "Atsui --- atsui --- atsui --- atsui desu-ne --- ah, atsui".

Did you know that Japan has 4 seasons? It's unique in that respect. That's why it's so difficult to get the temperature right.

I used to spend about 3hours a day. I took it for granted but can't do it anymore since I lived in Tokyo. I need to get a new job when I move somewhere near the beach.

no public transport for me.... same as Ocean, just upstairs. if I do work outside of home then max travel time is 30 mins in my car. ( unless U count the 1.5-2hr journey to the beach...which is work in a way!)

10 minute walk, 40 minute train, 15 minute train, 10 minute walk.

WORK

10 minute walk, 15 minute train, 40 minute train, 10 minute walk.

I would take a considerable pay cut to get rid of all that.

20 minute bike ride generally. A few train rides sometimes but I try and avoid that as much as I can. Communting is something I have luckily managed to avoid mostly. When I lived in London I was a 15 minute walk, or a 5 minute drive in a work vehicle, from my work. Others had to cntend with the hell that is London public transport or the morning rush hour. Living in the suburbs has its advantages for sure but communting is not one of them. Communting will turn you into a munter.

I was on the Yamanote yesterday and there was this old homeless guy sitting there - the train was busy, apart from a 5 meter radius of space around him. He was sleeping. He was also VERY smelly. The place stunk.