Theres this chick at work here who we call Scowler. I have seriously never ever seen here as much as smile. She looks like shes in a permenant bad bad mood and its almost impossible to have more than a few word conversation with her.

I wish she'd leave, its depressing having someone like that around. I reckon she should be sacked.

There was a girl like that in my area as well, I may have mentioned her before. Every time I passed her, the scowl deepened. I never noticed it until one day when it just started to hate the world. I decided that she hated gaijins and expressed that hate in her expression every time i passed her desk. It got to the stage where I was sure that she had decided to use me as a representative gaijin and she would focus all her scowling onto me: everything bad a gaijin had ever done to her appeared to be my fault. Keep in mind I had never uttered a word to this bitter little girl. I was talking about her to my co-workers (Japanese) and they also commented on her scowl. It appeared I was off the hook.

The scowl continued and then one day I noticed a change in clothes, baggy and loose. Then later on I noticed a bump on the tummy. Yes, she was up the duff and I conclude was not happy about it in the least. It had been about 7 months since the scowling started, just about the time when the krusty the clown home pregnancy test kit probably revealed two blue dots.

She left the company when she looked like she was about to burst (and cry). I assume that she is now enjoying her new life as a mother.

Funny.

This one is not gaijin-related, I think she just hates living. Or something. God it would be interesting to know whats going on in here depressed head.

Yeah, there's someone like that in my office too. Everytime I go past the mirror, old miseryguts is scowling. He's got very clearly defined scowl lines etched in his head. I can't imagine what got him like that.

Hey theres a fair few bloke scowlers out there too. Miserable buggers. I wonder if they're like that at home or whether its just a hate work thing? (What is it with you O11?)

A number of things;

Having to work when the sun is in the sky

Translating things that are written by illiterates

Other people's ignorance of logic

These are the main ones. But Japan is also a very bright country I find - even on a cloudy day I find that Japan is much brighter than England. So I scowl largely because of the glare.

I went hurtling down a muddy grass slope many times today on my Outback mountainboard and got mud spattered all up the back of my head, so I'm scowling a lot less this evening.