Music you used to like, but wouldn't admit to now..

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol.gif Funny topic

The Sex Pistols, Cool and the Gang, Cameo, and the winner is {drum roll} Milli Vanilli...

Any Vanilla Ice fans please come forward! lol.gif

when I was a 16 year old skateboarding & surfing grot (well over a decade ago) me and my mates were caught up in liking ANY music that was remotely grungy or hard or alternative or garage or indi. Hell, if it was so called 'indi' it MUST me good. Even a silly band name, like The Lubricated Goats or Alien Sex Fiend, was enough to get us listening. For the most, the music was crap and I do not even remember most of it now.

Oh yes, I was into a crap Melbourne local band called Depression. They were rubbish.

We thought we were in control and had our shit in one sock because we didnt follow the 'commercial' bands that made crap music... the type of bands that people cringe at today. Looking back, we all we suckers for music that was ultra mainstream in its attempt to be un-mainstream. There was nothing unique about us at all.

A bit of topic but what do you expect from me on a Friday arfternoon?

I recall that my first record was a Smurf album and a Nana Mouskuri (sp?) album that I stole from my dad. I used a record player that my dad made from a 'do it yourself kit' in the 70's.

In 1982 my first tape was Michael Jackson's Thriller and I got it on my birthday with an early model Sony Walkman. I used to bust out of class (grade 5) and listen to it in the room in which we kept our school bags. Today I have an iPod and just earlier I went and took in a few songs in the toilet cubical at work. I am still the same, more than 20 years later \:\)

with all the iPod fuss, this is a little interesting

Fortunately I have always had an independent and critical streak in me, so I never listened to anything that wasn't any good. This resulted in many warm feelings of mutual contempt at school.

Does anybody else experience feelings of resistance when you put on some new music for the first time? Whenever I download an artist who is new to me, or put on a new album by a familiar artist, I have to overcome quite a strong feeling that I may not like the music and be subjecting myself to an unpleasant experience. This however has probably saved me from listening to too much shit that other less neurotic people have tolerated for longer than is perhaps good for them.

I wonder if artists who make shit music actually think their music is not shit, or whether they realise that it is in fact, shit.

I was very trendy and into the Smiths when Morrissey was still a gladiola-branding unknown.

aahhh u must be talking about the cd's i gave to my exgf's little brother who was 9 years old. emm, they be a micky j cd, genesis, phil collins, something in a white case and a couple of others. about 7 or 8 in total.

at that time my collection was filling up with blur, charlatans, happy mondays, suede, primal scream - u get the idea - so i needed to get rid of all incrimating evidence of commercial fm radio.

most of the embarrassing stuff others have mentioned would make a pretty rockin 80s cd. thems not really embarrassing.

grooovy kinda love.....thats embarrassing!

5015%20new.jpg

i wanna say i didn't have that cd...but the song was on was on phil collins live.

I have absolutely no problem admiting that my favorite band was Huey Lewis and the News. I loved those guys and still dig them. Besides that, I really didn't like much. A little early Motley Crue, Def Leppard! White Snake, White Lion, Skid Row.... I never really liked anything before 82 (huey), but my parent force fed me the Beatles and Zep. I can't complain. And now I like 311 and Alkaline Trio. It's all subjective. Get in the groove. Dig it!

Why would you be shameful of what you liked? Public perception got you down?

I have to admit i did like:

Bros

Mili Vanili

Belinda Carlisle

And i still like....Duran Duran, A-ha, Def Leppard(just bought the best of), INXS.

clap.gif

Let's also not forget the Legendary G'n R

Some of the early 80's glam metal I was into was truly bad. Think KEEL, W.A.S.P, Dio, poison etc. My first album I brought with my own money was Brian Adams, the one with summer of 69 on it. Mostly older brothers kept me on the straight and narrow with a diet of Devo, U2, Garry Numan and Kraftwerk.

Db, Depression used to rock if I remember correctly, could have my rose tints straped on there though.