I had it at an enkai last month. To be honest it wasn't anything special. Just tasted like tako or ika sashimi but slightly less chewy.

I saw a TV program on it the other day, and it seems it pretty safe to eat. The poison is easy to spot, and they cut it all away easily. That poison gets put into a special box that is locked with a padlock, and the poison is returned to the supplier. After all that pulavar, they scrub the rest of the meat for ages just to make double sure its safe.

Basically it takes a lot of work to make, and doesnt taste that good, so its just a big fat waste of money.

There's no risk at all when you eat fugu sashimi prepared by a registered cook. The people who die are those who either prepare it themselves, or who deliberately eat the poison. This is actually quite a common thing to do, either dabbing it on the sliced fish to 'spice' it, or mixing it in a drink. Apparently it gives the mouth a pleasing numbness. A bit too much kills you dead. This is surely not worth the risk, although otherwise quite prudent Japanese friends have told me they've done it.

You can cook fugu too, and it tastes much better cooked.

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby12:

I saw a TV program on it the other day,
Was that the one on discovery? a cooks tour?

I think it's just another one of those bland and over priced foods that people like to brag about eating.

Personally, I would rather spend the money on a decent fish like Maguro and eat that raw.

Indo - I'm with you on that.

Overpriced and Bland is being kind.

With so much great seafood with taste & texture to choose from, why would any one spend big money on poseur appeal.

Crocodile has become somewhat popular in Oz, but it follows a similar line - overpriced and bland.

But you can't tell that to the punters who think they're game eating their game. ;\)

raw eggs rule! especially on a gyudon. damn the consequences.

Yeah I saw the Fugu program on the Discovery Channel 'Cooks Tour' (should be 'Cocks Tour' - that guy is an asshole.)

I don't rate it as a fish, too boney and it doesn't taste that great. I have also read a few newspaper articles recently which highlighted the overuse of formeldhyde in the farming of fugu. It's used to eliminate parisites I think but hardly makes for safe eating. I've heard the same thing about formeldehyde being used in the production of Thai whiskey. Something to consider next time you're choosing fish for the nabe.

I've never had it so its interesting to read this. I suppose the cooks ("cook" raw fish?) need a licence or something to be able to server fugu. So there must be a Fugu School. lol.gif

There's a prefectural licensing system and you have to be accredited by the prefecture that you happen to be gutting the fish in. So there are Fugu Schools in each prefecture.

Surprised? ;\)