i'm a semi-vego. we never have cook meat at home, but have fish once or twice a week.

never order meat dishes when out. but meat dashi/stock is fine.

i have also eaten tebasaki(sp?) in the past. i decided to loosen up and start eating some chicken, but it never really caught on. i would eat chicken again if i really felt the urge. just don't seem to get the urge.

I was a vegetarian for 4 years until I moved here. I tried to keep at it for about 6 months, but it was just too difficult. I still try to limit my meat intake, but it is almost impossible to get food without meat in it at a lot of Japanese restaurants. I've tried to ask for Ramen without the pork slices, but they just look at me funny and put it in anyway. Even the veggie Yakisobas have meat in them. Hell, even the sushi has meat in it! mad.gif Nevermind on the last one.

Yeah, it's tough out here. When I move back to the states I plan on going back to being an herbivore though. I felt so much better when I wasn't eating meat.

I like to eat/cook fish but i find it stinks out the house unless I clean up and dispose of the remains immediately. I cook fish maybe once every three months.

I'm not a veggie but I am careful to only eat good quality meat - I think this distinguishes me from people who eat lots of cheap meat/burgers/sausages etc. I really find that kind of thing repulsive.

I've been a vegetarian for 11 years now. Started when I gradumated high school. Before I went to Japan, I had been veg for 9, vegan for 7, but I knew there was no way I could manage once I got there, so I gave in on fish and eggs, and that was fine, really, there is fish, or fish sauce in just about everything, so I figured "might as well enjoy it."

Granted I knew that there was meat bits or meat stock in almost everything as well (karee raisu, raamen), but I chose to play dumb on those items.

All in all, with this laid back chuto hampa veggie attitude, I got along just fine.

I've turned veggie since I came here. Mainly because I find the quality of the meat served here on the whole GROSS. So I've been forced into it, but admitedly enjoying it. I'll still eat meat if it looks good, but on the whole I hate it.

Quote:
Originally posted by guzzlers-baps:
Can someone explain to me the reasons why someone would choose to eat fish but not chicken or red meat? (unless its just a flavor thing).
Here are a few reasons. . .

1) Fish meat is healthier, cleaner, and easier to digest than chicken, beef, or pork.

2) Fish generally live free in their natural environment, whereas chickens live in deplorable conditions, and are treated inhumanely - they have their beaks and wings clipped and are often pumped full of hormones and antibiotics. Cows are likewise pumped full or hormones and antibiotics.
Pigs live in the worst conditions of all - kept in wire cages stacked to the ceiling.

3) Religious reasons. . .