Another PC question.

I'm still pondering what to get.

About memory, I know the more the better, but I have the options of 512 728 or 1024 - of course the more is more expensive.

I have never heard of 728 before, will that make a noticable difference from 512?

I just went from 512 to 768 and I most certainly notice the difference when doing tasks like burning dvd movies.

Another consideration is that it is very much better to have a spare 20GB of HD to burn a dvd movie of 60 minutes length in best quality (available on your encoding software/burner/disk combo). With only 10GB spare it can take close to 24 hours! Dont ask me why this is the case but I have read it every where that burning a dvd needs heaps of spare HD storage in the background for fast asset encoding and burning.

Yo Empty when I was University I did Computer paper, we did practical work on some Macs. We had a whopping 4Mb of ram to play with :p that was smoking! you could only run one app at a time or frosty the freezeman would visit your terminal.

Things were good, considering they had bumped up the quota from 2Mb to 4Mb just that year!

The underpowered computer I still use now has 128MB, 3 years ago 128 was the high end option while 64MB was still standard.128 now is gutless, you need at least 256 at the minimum, 512 MB these days is the good amount to have, 728 would be extra sweet 1024 would be the high end option.

(thats if you edit video, encode DVD to DivX, copy DVDs, play online gaming, etc or want to defrag a 250GB Hard Disk)

If email and web surfing is all you are doing 128MB is still more that enough.

Yes. I like those online shops that let you configure a system online. The price ALWAYS goes way too high too quickly

Are there any other makers like Dell still operating in Japan? (I know Gateway left a few years ago)

Hint - esp if you get a hi-end machine. don't check prices of similar spec computers for at least a year after buying to avoid getting depressed.

I'm not that old... 35 years.

My first computer, a zx81 clone had 2k of memory!

some of it vas reserved for loading basic. so i had about 1200 - 1300 bytes to play with, made my own games.. when i got the 16 k memory expansion, i was on top of the world.

i later had dreams of buying this monster The 5150 was able to run good wordprocessing on 16k, with spellchek and all that...

It just wasn't that fancy (no rat or roll down menu's)

to answer your question.. get a lot of memory!

512 will do, but 1024 will serve you better

atb

Thunderpants