sad to say but I too am leaving Japan...and much sooner than I thought.

Out of here by May 28...a bit sad, a bit relieved, definetly excited.

Lots to miss about this place! Definetely will come back for the snow at some point down the road

danz

Slow - it is nice to know that you cared, or at least made mention.

Rach - you are correct.

Danz - don't worry mate, you will forget you ever lived there within two days of leaving. Seriously, I have.

Too bad you guys are leaving good luck down the road. Me who knows I love the mountains the snow the rivers but I could do without some other things. I would complain if I was at home too.

db, You are in London now! iina... I almost forgot that I had lived there but it was 5years! ago...

I'm just curious to know, did you fly to UK with your dog??

I hope that you enjoy changeable weather there! ;\)

yep, I am in London.

I have not really started looking for a place to live yet, but have looked at a heap of different parts of town to get a feel for different districts. My furniture doesn't arrive until late June so until then I am in a serviced apartment in the city anyway. So far I have been blown away by Hampstead. It looks like a small cobblestone Roman town! All the charm that I expected from London. When in Tokyo I lived in Seijo which is in a way the Hampstead of Tokyo, yet it was an ugly dismal dive (actually, for Tokyo it was ok).

Slow, nice for you to remember my dog! He actually arrived in the UK one day before me and is currently in the first week of his 6 month sentence at Her Majesty's quarantine facility. I will visit him at Heathrow each weekend.

So where is the more twisted alternative nightclub district of London? Where do all the strange and interesting people hang out?

See you later then Danz and DB. Met both of you in-person once and hope to keep hearing from you on the forum. Don't worry DB "twisted" experiences are happening all over London, it is a great city. On that bankers salary of yours you'll have a great time. Hampstead is nice if you can afford it. My friend used to live there and I'd visit to go running around the heath.

Just remembered the original question to this thread and my answer is, no, at least not anytime soon. I can see another 5 years or so here. I was living in London before I came back here and I really wanted to go back for a year or so. Couldn't live there now though, the climate is a huge factor in that.

Ahhhh, yes my time here is done as well. Like Nekobi I do still have fond feelings for Japan but I am ready for what's next. I have certainly had a lot of good times here, though, that will stick with me forever.

db if you ever want to sneek back in (see below). Nah, maybe not. lol.gif

Deported foreigners sidestep

immigration with transit trick

By Takashi Yamashita

Mainichi Shimbun

May 9, 2004

Foreigners who have been deported from Japan have found a way to sneak back into the country -- and some travel agents appear to be letting them know about the method.

Hyogo Prefectural Police say a number of non-Japanese people who have been deported from the country have mingled in with tour groups passing through Japan on a trip to another destination. This lets them slip past immigration officers with transit permission.

These foreigners take advantage of relaxed rules for transit passengers, and some foreign travel agencies are apparently telling them it's OK to enter the country "because it's transit."

Prefectural police are on the alert, and the Kobe branch of the Osaka Regional Immigration Bureau says penalties are being considered for travel agencies that assist illegal entry.

"If illegal entry of participants from the same travel agency continue we will have to impose penalties," a branch representative said.

Under the immigration control law, people who have been deported within the last five years are not allowed to enter the country. But there are cases of people who do.

In February this year, prefectural police arrested a South Korean woman working at a bar for violating the law. She had already been deported in 2000.

When she was questioned over how she entered the country, it was learned that she had joined in a South Korean travel agency's tour to England, and had entered Japan after obtaining transit permission at Narita airport. She departed from her tour once she had entered the country.

"I used the tour so I could work in Japan," Police quoted the girl as saying. "The travel agency told me how to enter the country."

Another Chinese man in his 40s who was arrested in December last year on suspicion of theft had already been deported from Japan two times. He obtained transit permission at Narita on the way home from a trip to Australia, and used it to illegally begin living in the country.

"When I told the tour guide, 'I don't think I'll be able to get in,' the guide said, 'It's OK because it's transit,' and I really was able to enter," he reportedly told police.

With flights that pass through Japan, entry into the country for up to 72 hours is permitted for passengers waiting for a flight or boat. For group passengers on an airline, the travel agency asks the airline to file permission for entry, and the airline requests transit permission from immigration for all of the passengers.

"Naturally checks are made on the individuals, but we understand that the purpose of entering the country is for sightseeing or rest while waiting for the next flight, and the airlines guarantee this, so we basically don't question the people," an official at the Kobe branch said. "If it's true that travel agencies are instructing these people, we'll need to deal with the problem strictly."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm out pretty soon. I just bought a condo in Honolulu last month and as soon as it's finished being built I'm gonna go. I have family here now so I will always be back and every snowboard season I will try to get back. Snowboarding became a part of my life in Japan so I will return often.

Quote:
Originally posted by 21C:
No, but I wish I could me more open about my relationships. \:\(
Don't worry mate. Many of us on this forum also enjoy going back country and we too are scorned by the narrow minded majority.