Hi I was wondering if anyone had some good resorts that they would recommend in western Japan. I've been to 2 places in Tottori, Hyonosen and Daisen, and I've also been to Hachi Kita in Hyogo ken. Are there any other worth while resort to check out in the region?

Hiroshima: Osorakan has the best snow in Hiroshima, Geihokukokusai is ok, a few good runs, but too many lame ass boarders in the way, Hiroshima use to be like 85% boarders who are really bad. This isnt a skier vs. boarder thing its just thats pretty close to what the numbers are. Turn it around and Id bitch at all the shitty skiers too. ;\)

Shimane: Mizuho is good fun, some kickers, tables, half pipe (which sucked last year although it was greatly improved)

Totori: Daisen

How do Osorakan and Hachi compare to Daisen and Mizuho?

Found Daisen and Mizuho pretty similar in quality - Mizuho had more difficult runs and a better park but Daisen was a little bigger and set up a lot better. Both good fun for a day but, but probably would get bored of them for much more than that.

Are Osorakan and Hachi similar?

Haven't been to the "New Hachi" but looks like they've done some good merging and developments and seemed to be heavily marketed last season in these parts.(west)

From my humble observations (and experiences)over the past 5-6 seasons, Mizuho appears to more consistently get the goods than any other of the main western resorts.

I figure it's one of natures strange little anomalies - location, location, location - nearby resorts Tenguston, Geihoku ..... often recieve much lighter, wetter, falls.

Mizuho top of the mountain, got a 170cm dump last season in one day - the valley floor got 80cm.

Match all of that with pretty good snowmaking coverage, means you generally won't be dissappointed after an expensive trek at Mizuho.

connackers,

Yup, unfortunately theyre pretty similar and anything you go to in W. Japan is crazy crowded on weekends - 40 min queues are not uncommon at place like Saito, Geihoku Kokusai. I went a few times to Yahata 191 just outside of Geihoku and had a blast there not to mention a few days of nice snow too. (meaning it wasnt artifical)

Id say Mizuho is my fav. in W. Japan. Osorakan is great but getting there is a pain in the ass and it usually closes pretty early but that does give ya time for an onsen. The road to Osorakan is narrow eek.gif And cuz it ices over we usually left there between 3-5, usually about 3 just to beat traffic and avoid slippin off da road. But, Osorakan has the best snow and use to be skiers only resort too...

I`d heard about the crazy queueing times but didn`t find Daisen too bad especially in January.

Liked Mizuho a lot except that it seemed like it could be set up better. Only having one canteen at the bottom is ridiculous, especially as it is so overcrowded and overpriced - don`t go back down for lunch! Also unless you have your own transport you have NO chance of getting a locker if you arrive past 9am. And I really don`t like the way that in so many resorts it`s difficult to get your own stuff serviced, though Daisen is good for this.

Mizuho only having one run back down also means that it gets REALLY crowded at lunch and at the end of the day. But there are definitely some very nice runs there.

Any more info on that other Tottori place Yuki, or is it still secret? ;\)

The only other place in tottori is Hyonosen. It is fairly small but good for half a day if you are craving some boarding action. I definitley wouldn't make a long journey there.

Thanks for all the help. I went to daisen about 6 times last year and had fun everytime. I'm definitely going to consider Mizoho for this winter.

Cheers Fattwins ;\)

Victor where are you based? Went up to Daisen 6 or so times last season also - always had a good time. I`d heard a lot of negative stuff about it especially from my japanese teachers but found it really good considering it`s not that big. Nice snow, quick lift up to the top, not too crowded and good cheap food.

Fattw - I stand corrected.

Just did a search of "western Dump" in March, and noticed that the dump was 120cm not 170cm.

I knew it was damn big, but I guess my over exuberant anticipation of the coming season has me looking thru rose coloured goggles.

Or my brain IS getting shaky.

Anwayz it's a good reminder that way out west all is not lost. ;\)

Connakers,

I'm based in Tottori Ken. I'm about 2 hours away from Daisen but its definitely worth the drive to Daisen. I agree with you, I went about 7 or 8 times last year and everytime I had an awesome time. Let me know the next time you are there.