Things you wish you could find in Japan, but can't

Okay,

I know this has been done before, but I can't find it, and it was a long time ago, anyway, so here goes...

What things/products from your home country do you wish you could find in Japan?

I could never find Salsa, and almost could never find peanut butter. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale would have been nice as well.

You can get peanut butter and deodorant easily from any big supermarket like Seiyu.

The only thing i cant find is MARMITE and GOLDEN SYRUP, but i get them sent from back home so its ok.

You can get the bigger US microbrews like Anchor Steam and Sam Adams. They're both quite well bodied. A gaijin bloke also brings in some of Red Hook's beers from the Northwest. Have a look online.

I get Rogue beer here in Misawa. A company in Sapporo imports it and one of the bars here has it shipped down. I was floored to learn I could get my favorite beer in the world here in Japan.

I can get everything I need/want on base, so I'll shut up now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yuki's Passion:
I've checked all the big supermarkets in Kansai and FBC on Rokko Island - any Kansai people know where to get Deodorant besides from overseas???!!! Ive only got one more swipe left and Im desperate!
Too bad mate, you are screwed. I bought 10 roll-ons last time out of the country. I am now on my last one. Japanese male deodorant facts:

- there is only one brand available, no matter where I look.
- the roll-on ball is not much bigger than the end of my finger - no comfy at all when poked into the armpit,
- it is useless, f***g useless.

Almost the same can be said for most personal hygiene products such as antibacterial liquid soap, shaving cream etc

I look forward to once again being a citizen in the modern and civilised world.

(Japanese men DO sweat, which is why the are always mopping their face with a silly little towel.... which actually only serves to increase there skin temp any way and thus produce more sweat. Can't tell them that though).

More on topic, I wish I could get a large variety of fresh fruit that has not been handled 40 times between tree and me. Fruit is meant to be natural, not inspected to the nth degree to ensure perfect shape and size and hence higher price. Give it to me the way it came from the tree. In an ideal world that is were I would be getting it from anyway... wouldn't anyone? Can't tell them that though.

I would also like to get a nama beeru that doesn't come with 2.0 inches of FAKE HEAD on the top. It is like some type of vile bubble cream, or a really cacky stout type head on a draught beer. Once again, form over function and robotic adherence to 'how it is done'. Can't tell them that though.

Excuse my bragging, but I today took delivery of the following items. Why am I complaining:

- Narita Express ticket, green car (qty: 1)
- BA ticket to London, biz class, one way (qty: 1)
- Five year UK residency and working visa (qty: 1)
- signed contract of employment (qty: 1)

Things you pretty bloody soon can't get in Japan: db

d=(^o^)=b

\:D

Can't get real peanut butter in my town or for that fact anywhere close to my town.

I brought a 2 kg tub from home just over two weeks ago and its already half gone. Mmmmmm Peanut butter and honey sandwhich. My favorite.

You might be looking in the wrong place. I can easily find peanut butter where I am - its in all my local markets....as merryjim said its often sweet paste rather than chunky non-sweet.

Quote:
Originally posted by cal:
You might be looking in the wrong place. I can easily find peanut butter where I am - its in all my local markets....as merryjim said its often sweet paste rather than chunky non-sweet.
I also have the sweet paste stuff. I want the natural stuff where you have to mix it up before eating. Mmmmm.
You also live in Tokyo. I am in the hills and my town of 60,000 is the biggest within 2 hours.

I agree about Japanese beer having half the glass with head - it pisses me off. Wait 1 minute and its half gone mad.gif Does that make me a pessimist? On the other hand, a nice Guiness or Sammy Smiths with a nice head is great \:D

Toque,

If ya want I could takyubin some Peanut Butter to ya!! Of course chakubari lol.gif

i really miss flour tortillas. you can find corn torilla taco shells at some bigger supermarkets, but i like flour ones so much better. mmmmm, you can make burritos, fajitas, wraps. i get my family to send me packs from the states.