Who is doing what for "Golden Week"? I wish I was heading somewhere exciting and new but its just not happening this year.

Does anyone know when this "Golden Week" concept was introduced? I have heard that it came about after Japanese workers not taking their allocated holidays each year and it was the only way the government could get people to actually take a holiday. I was wondering how much truth there is in this little bit of folk law.

Wowwow,

Check out www.kto.co.jp for information on Golden Week. Came about that by chance today. Gives ya info about its origins.

Ill be goin to Hiroshima for a few days for a mates wedding and come back to Kansai. Probably check out Arima onsen and do some hiking around Rokko, fire up a grill and have a barbie, drink some beer and end up in a wheel chair \:D

I'm going to some mates in Yamagata on Sunday for 3 days which should be good. Best to avoid crowds if at all possible.

I've heard that about GW being the only way to get people to take holidays and it sounds plausible. On the TV this morning that some companies taking 11 days off this GW (?!) - sounds excessive the other way round that one.

So far I have slept in till 1:00 for three days and been out walking to the park every arvo. Cook dinner then read some more books and go to bed. Occasionally have a chuckle at the news about congested roads and airports. Might go for a run today to take advantage of the relatively clean air.

I teach at companies and usually have to get up around 6:30-7:00. My Golden week started on Tuesday night which is why I have been sleeping in clap.gif . I'm loving the abnormality of it all.

I don't get to celebrate Golden Week. We're strictly on the US holiday schedule. I feel bad for the Japanese that work with us. They are also on the US schedule. Many of them do use their vacation time during GW though, but they don't get the usual japanese holidays off. The money may make it up for them though.

If it counts - going skiing at hakkoda tomorrow \:\) Wanted to stay up there for the night, but they've been booked for months.

Davo - what's 'avro' mean? evening? afternoon?

I caught a nasty cold and am in bed with a high fever. The doctor I went to today thought hed play a practical joke on me and give me some strong medicine - that goes where the sun dont shine - I always thought that was a one-way street \:o

Yuki and grungy,

I feel cold and have a headache, too... It's too bad because I escaped from Tokyo finally and planned to go to beach if the weather is good...

I should go to bed early tonight.

I hope we get well soon and enjoy the rest of holidays.

Is anyone here silly/unfortunate enough to ever get caught up in the mad rush/u-turn rush at the beginning or end of the holidays? Those 3X capacity Shinkansens look like hell.

all the sick people out there - did ya get better and have a good GW? Im still not fully recovered yet but had a great time at my mates wedding/nijikai and some other parties. Weather wasnt cooperating though eh? Anybody go surfing in Shikoku or Kyushu?

Hi! I'm getting better! Very relaxing holidays, make marmalade(we got very sweet orange from neighbor!), play the piano at home and explore local art. The waves were high enough and pretty windy, there were many surfers today.