A new Setting Journals Feature - "A Day in The Life - 3AM to 6AM", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-19.html

"It is a cold and clear night at the resort with all three hotels full and many day visitors expected for Sunday, February 22, 2004. A great deal has already happened at the resort during the first three hours of this day, with more activity expected over the next three leading up to the arrival of dawn. For the resort staff, some have just finished work; others are in the midst of a shift, while the rest (including this writer) will begin moving towards starting their work on one of the busiest days of the season. Read on for the second installment in this series within the setting journals..."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/setting-journals-19.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello merryJim

Thanks for the question - off the top of my head the night hotel guys put in long hours.

I usually bump into them just before 3 PM as they are showing up for their shift to start at 4PM. They then work officially until 10 AM the following morning but have been known to keep at it until the early afternoon on busy days...

Hello charlotte

As far as I can tell the earthquakes have not affected the resort structurally - facilities are all fine and the runs on the mountain as well.

There have been a few cancellations given that the resort is within Niigata Prefecture, but to be fair the Joetsu region in the south did not feel the impact the way the Chuetsu region did.

I live down in the Joetsu valley and we have been able to remain in our homes, with water, electricity and gas supplies unaffected.

I feel very sorry for what has happened in the Chuetsu region and trust that people there will be able to return to a regular life sooner instead of later.