Or maybe it has something to do with the eternal feast in Valhalla promised brave vikings who died in battle. Endless feasting, drinking, singing and dancing, eating huge slabs of meat with your hands, now THAT sounds like my kind of heaven......if you chuck in endless powder and a good point break into the bargain. \:D

Maybe Japanese people can't say "smorgasbord"?

I never knew of this word until I opened a Lonely Planet book. I think it was pretentiously describing an eat-all-you-can pig out at Shakeys Pizza. Its typical of the full-of-ourselves crap you get in LP books.

The word smogasboard comes from peasant Swedish folk. Perhaps someone got confused and decided that the vikings were Swedish.

By the way, Xylish chewing gum comes from Sweden. It is very good for your teeth. Ask any Japanese person. Bulgaria yogurt is the best for your stomach. Ask any Japanese person, only Bulgarian yogurt is good for you.

More perplexing than Bulgarian yogurt is so-called "Vermont curry". I was surprised when Japanese peeps asked me if I had any curry when I visited Vermont. Maybe the Vikings brought curry to Vermont from India?

viking.jpg

A Tokyo Hotelier in the 60's ( I think), was so impressed with the smorgasbord style of eating when holidaying in Sweden/Denmark??? he introduced it to his restaurant. He named it Viking, because well smorgasbord hardly conjures up any exciting or tantalizing image of Scandanavia. His idea quickly spread into a viking boom and became established country wide.

I'm thinking of introducing Izakaya style eating/drinking to Oz, but lets face it "Izakaya" the word, just doesn't really have the oomph to cut it - so get ready - NINJA eating is coming to a space near you. \:D

Do you wanna go Ninja tonite?

I may be wrong. But tabehodai is usually "timed" - ie 90 mins. A buffet sounds posher and is what you have in hotels etc when you aren't officially timed as such. But I suppose you are in a way with their opening times for breakfast. Oh well, I don't know. Both will do fine with me. \:D