im doing the oh so very generic trip to koh samui in may. currently looking up prices etc. i know people are going to tell me to go elsewhere but its a graduation trip so im not really going for the location as much as the company, nor do i have much of a say in the matter.

if time allows i would recommend heading up to chiang mai. i went there last year for 5ish days and it was great.

As acouple of people have said the Samui Archipelago is nice. Koh Samui is the most expensive and corwded island there. If you are looking for something quieter and cheaper i'd be heading for either Koh Pha-Ngan or Koh Tao. if you scuba diving head for Koh Toa as it has great scuba diving sites (as does Pha-Ngan but not as many).

I am heading back in July this year and am going to Krabi and the surrounding areas as well as the Samui Archipelago.

Bangkok is interesting. Very busy, but there are loads of bargains!!

All in all it is a very cheap to visit.

Not much, if any, surf unfortunatley.

Thailand is a fantastic place. _Not sure about surfing etc (not my scene), but explore the country and you'll have the time of your life. I have been 6 times now - each to a different area. I recommend the northern part for the most adventures!

Yep the full moon parties are on a beach called Haad Rin on Koh Pha Ngan. The beach is really busy and accomodation is booked a couple of days before a full moon party. The rest of the island however isn't really affected by the full moon parties. They are still quiet and cheap too!!

Yep, by a long shot.

Koh Pha Ngan is the place to go to chill out and get away from it all - with the exception of the full moon party. It is less developed and what is there is not big buildings (except in Thongsala - the main town, but even that is one storey buildings) but more like bungalows. Very cruisy.

Koh Samui is much much touristy and is a better option if you want a holiday with the luxuries of home. \:\) There are cheap bungalow's on Koh Samui as well though.

Everything in Koh Pha Ngan is a lot cheaper than Koh Samui.

When we were there one of my mates was pretty sick from something and made himself thrw up to get it out of his system. He then proceeded to take a gulp of water straight from the tap. I yelled at him reminding him that he couldn't drink the water here. "Oh Shit!!" he says and makes himself throw up again. Quite humourous, wasn't for him though.

We're going in April. I went to Pan Ngan (well, Had Rin), Bangkok and Ayutthaya ten years ago, but diving in Koh Tao and the "waterfight" festival are the schedule this time.

If anyone can recommend a good place to go for three-four days from Bangkok, stick it up here.

• 2 weeks later...

No ones experianced the Koh Pha-Ngan hosipitals like i have! When drew and i were there we had a little motorbike accident my leg hit the exhaust! what an expericance! the hospitals are crazy stray dogs wondering around open air rooms,.. very strange! but i survived!!

Thailand was by far the funnest hoilday i have had!!

• 2 weeks later...

I love Thailand. Kho Pa-Ngan is definitely the place to go for seclusion. Just go northwest and stay away from the rave party area and you'll find bliss. But yes, probably any of the islands are nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Markie,

How are you?

Yep, off to the UK in 10 days to mix the last 3 songs and then it'll be finished. Finally.... whew - it took a lot longer than I thought.

By the way, to get even more off topic, I'm sorry to tell you that I never received the egg rolls or the sheet music. On his return to Rusutsu after my departure Carl assumed that I had left the rolls behind because I didn't want them. He'd left some gear behind while I was there and for some reason thought it was being stored in my room, but it wasn't. So the egg rolls disappeared - thrown out. I'm upset because I was dying to try them and I know you're probably upset because you undoubtedly would have eaten them yourself if you had known their ultimate fate. And Enderzero's probably upset to hear that too, because he wanted to eat them instead of boot. As for the sheet music, it seems that one of the staff who's a budding pianist wound up with it. Carl hadnt realised that you had wanted him to give it to me.

Sorry that Carl inadvertantly trashed your gifts......

And now, to get back on topic -

I also stayed a couple of times on a small island 20 mins by boat south of Phuket, called Maiton Island. It used to be privately owned and run, now I think it's in disuse. We went to Phuket for a day, riding around on motorcycles, took a swim at one of the beaches there -not so nice - there was no gradation from shallow to deep, the waves basically crashed straight onto the shore in nasty sand-filled long dumpers. I heard that there are beaches on Phuket that are dangerous because the sand underwater gets marsh-like and can suck people under.

We also tried waterskiing at a 'mechanical lake' - like what they have ((for Sydneysiders) out at Panthers in Penrith. It was a bit of a novelty, but not recommended - the rope tow was so slow that the drag on your arms going around the bends was horrendous! Maybe not so bad if you were on 2 skis, but skiing on 1 ski was quite a workout. Hmmm, methinks speedboats are definitely the way to go.

We also considered an elephant ride, but there wasn't time.

I found the main area of Phuket to be a little too upmarket touristy for my liking.

The tiny island we stayed on was wonderful. Great snorkelling, dolphins abounded, and just magical.

Hi, sunrise.

Firstly, my apologies. I never got round to replying to your last email...very impolite of me. I promise to reply sometime today.

Best of luck on your CD.

I'm fine now but am very busy trying to stay healthy. We have to take many precautions to avoid getting this pneumonia thing. So far, I'm winning and keeping my fingers crossed.

Nice to hear you got some sun and fun in phuket. I used to go there a lot after Pattaya got too seedy for my tastes. Unfortunately, Phuket also moved in that direction and you had to go to the outlying islands, like the one you mentioned, for the "clean" sun and fun. Anyway, now that I have discovered snow, I hardly go there any more.

All the best.

Markie

• 2 weeks later...