• 2 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from surfing in Shikoku (Ohki beach) down in Kochi. Cant really complain about the waves as this just isnt Hawaii but about 1-2 feet with occasional 3 foot swells. Pretty glassy with off shore winds. The beach itself was pretty nice, not too many people camping but youd have 40 Japanese surfers in one spot with other breaks just wide open to ride. Guess the group mentality still takes over - why would you wanna ride a wave by yourself when you could have 10 people right? confused.gif

Katsuura in Chiba is pretty good too. Been there a few times and always had decent surf. Like to hit around Kyushu as it seems thats even better than Shikoku. But, Shimantogawa is epic!!! \:D

hey yp, how was tha water?

is it still wettie temp. or is it shorts yet? i look lyk gettin wet this weekend for tha first time this year.

CANT TRUKKIN` WAIT!!! anybody else heading to ibaraki this weekend? i.e. Oarai- Kashima?

Shimantogawa is one mfg river tho, ain't it? It's not far from my muvver-in-law's place. I want to canoe it all one summer. I've done little bits of it, but just going and going would be the best.

Powwwers,

Water temp was perfect!!! I guess Japanese folks love to wear their 150,000 wetsuits eventhough you dont need it (at least at this time). Was out in my trunks and rash vest, thats all. Just wish the waves had more power to em!

Ocean,

Yeah, Id love to float down that in an innertube with a case of beer - kept imagining that all the way up highway 441 along the river. Shikoku is just beautiful and everytime Im there I always wanna stay longer \:D

Tried surfing for the first time this weekend in Ibaraki (near Hasaki I think it's called). Had a great time. I can see why you guys would be into it after you got it down. Fun to be in the water, in the sun, at the beach, watchin the waves and saying, "oh! that one looks good, here it comes..."

I will definitely be back out. The idea of living somewhere that has great surf (and that kind of community) is getting more and more appealing.

cheers lads.

thanks deebs. we`ll hafta hook somthin up for gettin wet. i look like gettin tha new wheels- read: surfmobile!

YP. boardies and a rashie hey- awesome! that was a fair way down south you were though, wasn`t it? i think i might need me Y150,000 wettie this weekend. (try, 4 year old quikky 3/2)

and ender ol` son. ya busted ya cherry mate? good to hear. congrats! no doubt deebs gave ya lots of tips- jeez he`s good ta you!

Waves have been pretty decent lately in the Omaezaki/Irago areas. Water is warming up and wont need tha wetty soon.

I just scored a dream of mine to be able to wear Japanese wetsuits through a sponno deal with Realm wetsuits.

The j crew pay a crap load for their wetties but the rubber that they use here is way too good and exy to use them in wetties in anyother country. I just got my new long sleeve spring suit whiuch goes for 52,000yen! thats about $700aud! that would never happen in ozzie!

If any of U crew are in the area drop me a message coz I am down there 2-5 days a week depending on waves.

• 10 months later...

Hi, I was a snowboard freak for the past 8 years.

But since I started surfing, I got hooded on it

so much that I went snowboarding only once this winter!

Surfing seems a lot harder than snowboarding

but it's very rewarding. It changed my lifestyle.

I do a lot more training off the sea than when I used to snowboard.

I ride a shortboard. I started with a long, thick shortboard

and I recently bought a new one which is shorter and not as thick.

I've been surfing for 1.5 years and I know I will

do this for many more years to come!

I surf in Shonan, Chiba, Izu, Ibaraki, and other

places whenever I get a ride.

Let's exchange info.

mtrainier1000@hotmail.com

emi

• 5 weeks later...

BEst site to check out is

wavehuntersjapan.com

gives you a load of info about Chiba surf and daily reports plus info on accomodation along with the decent bars and eating joints around the area. Also directions on how to find the best spots.