• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks db.

It's said that great whites don't like humans much because they're not fatty enough to merit eating. They have very developed smell and taste that allows them to analyze with one nibble how nutritious a meal might be. Seals that get bitten don't generally live to surf again. I don't know how sharks would rate me, but Seth Efrican blond matey theya ebviously didn't hev enough fet on the boan.

jesus indo, check this out!!!: at the tracks site, go to video reviews, at the bottom there is archives, watch the laird vid (by the same name) it is almost the last one in the archive. he is sick. The review says that there is some footage of him on powder in the same dvd.

Oops! I was just trying to get a few more posts under my belt!

Db, I have that DVD!

Did you see the November(26th) Jaws footage where someone (forgot who) gets spat out of a 40-50ft cavern?

I don't care what anyone says you can't go that heavy Snowboarding...no way!

I'm with Mogs on this one. I started going with him and some Japanese friends last year (age 38). I've already got the wetsuit and put in an order for a board.

The great thing about surfing is that it seems you could do it for a lifetime with a minimum of fuss and equipment. I'm still a beginner, but I can see that even as I get better there will always be so much more to learn. What a great sport! I can't believe I waited this long to start.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for one night. Teach a man to fish, and he can eat for a lifetime.

;\)

All the advice given so far has been first-rate. Big boards, swimming practise, upper body work, practising the standing-up motion on the living room floor, watching the waves ALOT etc etc.

I have been surfing for about 8 years now and am still getting whipped out there. I am pretty average but have fun in most conditions. Surfing allows you to travel to lots of really beautiful places and meet cool people... the same as snowboarding does but with the beach instead of the mountains. One great thing about surfing though is the reasonable cost that comes with it. Once you have a decent second hand board, a wetsuit of some description and some sort of transport to get to the beach you are set. No lift ticket needed.

There are also so many different styles of wave you can ride. Point breaks with long peeling waves, sucky reef breaks with short intense barrels, peaky beachbreaks that vary alot with the tides. Becoming aware of what the tide does to the waves is also important. Grabbing a tide times down at your local surf or fishing shop is real easy.

I actually just got back from a surf trip up the east coast of New South Wales here in Australia. Camped in national parks all the way up and did a bit of illegal camping in some beautiful spots. Probably spent about 200bucks (15000 yen) in a whole week and had some great waves. Just me and a mate out in the elements. You forget how nice it is waking up in the bush with the sound of the waves inviting you down to the beach for the early surf. Highly recommended to all those budding surfers out there!

Also if anyone is keen on learning to surf and will be on the northern beaches in sydney anytime soon then I would be more than happy to give you a few tips.

Cheers

Ocean..Yes you can.

The waves down there Shikoku & Kyusyu) are insane! they have a lot of semi "secret" spots. Locals at the better breaks are pretty hardcore as to who gets to surf them, i was fine but some J friends were told to get out! (sometimes pays to be the gaijin!) there are a heap of easy beaches to learn. personally the beaches in kyusyu are much nicer.. I am going down this summer... can't wait! heading down r u ocean?