About the Australia snow season

• 2 weeks later...

i love the australian originality. mountains get lots of snow so they are called the snowy mountains. There is a bridge over the harbour in sydney, so guess what it is called.

A house for opera is built, what is it called.

A state is in the west of australia....

the list of unimaginative nomenclature goes on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OZ or NZ??? Depends on what you want. As stated NZ is steeper, deeper & a longer season with a low NZ$ to boot. However if you're after a full snow holiday experience, with great resorts, full on facilities and generally pretty good conditions then OZ wins hands down. I stand to be corrected, but I think there is NO on snow(slope) accomodation in all NZ let alone a snow village. Infrastucture is minimal(ist) but then some like it that way. Personally I wouldn't want to go for a "beach" holiday and have to stay inland and travel for yonks every morning to swim, surf etc. But horses for courses eh? ;\)

What about Mt Buller (sp?) thats in Australia isn't it?

Any good?

It's easier to get a Visa for Aus (you can get one on-line now!) which'll be great if I go straight from Japan......

If it's a good season Buller is BIG G Great. Lots & Lots of terrain, lots of life, lots of fun. In a lean season though can be disappointing - as anywhere (witness whistler this year) But they do have pretty extensive snow making. Also not far from Melbourne which is one cool city. \:\)

• 2 weeks later...

sorry but i think Aussie is getting a bit of a bad rap here - Thredbo & Perisher (2 resorts in NSW) have some seriously kick-ass areas, & a tree run through gum-trees is totally sublime!

& some of my most memorable powder days are right here in Aus... we dont get many powder days, but they are damn good when they happen \:\)

but having said that, if i lived in Japan I dont think I'd bother coming to Aus to board - I'd be saving my holidays up for all that lovely jap powder \:\)

Ive also had some fun powder days at Thredbo and Perisher in the snowy "mountains" but I would never contemplate coming to Australia from OS to snowboard. It is great that we have hills and a bit of snow on them for a few months of our "winter" but they are nowhere near what one would describe as "real" mountains.

My uncle lives in Jindabyne (the town closest to Thredbo and Perisher) and has not missed a season for 25 years and he loves it down there and it is true that there is something about the few days you get each season where you have a foot of fresh amongst the gum trees. However, he has not sampled Japanese powder and has never trekked across to NZ to real mountains. He has however spent a little bit of time in Canada and at Island Lake Lodge, the reputed world's best catski operation. The video he showed me of that was complete bullshit! Powder deeper than I have ever seen. People say that "today is deep... you might need your snorkel!" but that was the first time I was actually convinced that the snorkel call was not a joke. Bow waves of snow just going over their heads. Unbelievable!

But the point is that someone who has experienced real mountains and real snow OS makes his home in the snowy mountains in Australia. While I wouldn't trek over here just to ride in August, the northern hemisphere summer, if you do happen to be in Australia when there is some snow on the ground then you CAN have a good time and you MAY even get some GOOD snow! ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by snobee:
but I think there is NO on snow(slope) accomodation in all NZ let alone a snow village.
Youre nearly right, probably 98% of the accom is off the mtn but there are some lodges etc on the snow. They are usually pretty basic and you usually have to be in either a club or know someone who is. But there is no nightlife outside of the lodges so if you stay there you usually bring a big posse and plenty of booze. I think thats why most people stay in town really. Just more happening. Mind you I really like being able to stay walking distance from the slopes in Japan but its just not really the scene in NZ. Also lots of NZs lifts are t-bars or platters so you cant rest your legs so much as Japan - better for the figure but leaves you a bit more tired.