About the Australia snow season

The Aussie season tends to strart around late June and last until October normally. In NZ this can be a little bit longer on either side. NZ would get better quality and quantity of snow, and i's say its cheaper too.

I think it's "interesting" that the Japanese season is at a different time to the Aussie one. ;\)

NZ is the place to be. One of your US$ equals 2 of NZ$ and on the MacDonalds scale of Economy NZ$7 dollars gets you a super sized Big Mac Combo.

And the snow, well it was a good season for some places this year in the South, but you might wanna watch the waether patters closely.

It generally starts snowing well around June/July and the season goes through till about Oct.

If you are gonna make a week of it in NZ hit the Queenstown snow fest in Mid to late August. A week of partying, big air comp and the Rip Curl big mountain challenge.

Quote:
Originally posted by wilberbeast:
Do they get huge amounts of snow comparable to the Japan mtns?
rarely. a mid season 1.5m base is usual for Mt Hutt and they have the most consistent.
Occasionally there are epic dumps, of 50+cm in a night but unfortuneately they are rarer than Japan.
Japan has more snow and more powder days than NZ.
But NZ has better terrane in my opinion, its steeper and often more challenging.
There is a local field called Craigeburn and its gravy . it has no grooming, one green slope, a few blue and the rest black and Double black, and they have one run on the trail map listed as triple black, but they dont label it that they label it
"suicidal" thumbup2.gif
how about that?

Was in Queenstown for the winter fest last year ("working") and it was great, atmospher plus.

Go towards the end and then get in the big air. It didnt happen last year, supposed to be this yr. They have a big ski/board challenge, cant remember it off the top of my head, something like world heli challenge or summin?

But Im sure going to miss the powder dumps of Japan, but will be enjoying the steep and uncrowded as well as the night life and hot guys for a change.

I think NZ has a lot better terrain that we have here in Australia. They have REAL mountain ranges whereas we have HILLS, so to speak. The amount of snow that falls may be similar in Australia and NZ but the terrain is that much better down in what they call "sheep rooting" territory! Treble Cone seems to be the best of the commercial ski fields with Ohau and Cragieburn, Temple Basin and a few others being sweet options if you are into the club field thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by blinkin'ek:
That surprises me too actually - I thought they were closer.
I had a genius student once who was positive that we were linked by a bridge..... crazy.gif
I would like to see that Bridge it would be 3000km across.

woywoy if I were you I would go to Wanaka, Treble and Cardrona plus the town is not as commercialized as Queenstown, still has character, failing that Queenstown.
Methven/Moount Hutt are a little insular and quiet, but do have Christchurch nearby if you need some action

[sorry mate, I cant help this myself]

If they were linked by a bridge it would only be a one lane road, and we all know in which direction ;\)

[i dont actually follow all this NZ/Oz bashing, but it was a good chance to jump on the boring bandwagon]

Diffinately, thir is a huge rivalry bitween the kiwis ind the ozzies. usually iets only in sport but the ozzies beit us in everything but soccer. Back to the snow, sorry about my written attempt at the NZ language, NZ has a bigger alps than all of Switzerland, France and Austria combined but not the resources to utilise them. there are some amazing mountains there, a lot of pro riders head there in the off season, very rarely to Oz, because of the terrain. there isnt much difference in snow depth between the two but because NZ is further south the snow quality is much better. For those who have skied/boarded Whistler/Blackcomb it is similar-good when it good but wet when its not.

Quote:
Originally posted by neversummer:
NZ has a bigger alps than all of Switzerland, France and Austria combined similar-good when it
I am not calling you a BS artist, but I was suprised to read this.
I certainly didnt know it.

What kind of altitudes are we talking about in NZ?
 Quote:
Originally posted by gamer:
I didn't think it was that far. There you go...
NZ is as far from Oz as London is from Moscow or something like that. Its 2,162 km to Sydney (or 1,343 miles), actually Fiji is closer to NZ at 2,159km (1,342 miles) . Yes I am a wealth of Information (Tokyo is 13,583km/ 8,347miles and London 22,865km/ 14,202miles)
:p