I went 2 years ago. It was great but a lot safer than it is now. I saw a travel advisory lately and it pretty much says dont go anywhere we did!

Seriously though, I had a great time, the food was fantasic, the diving spectacular, the nights wild, living costs cheap, roads good and didnt get kidnapped/robbed/raped even once! Im not sure if Id go now though.

I was in the far north doing some volunteer work near Santiago City, went to Banaue rice terraces, down to "sin city" Angeles (sex everywhere), Mt Pinatubo, Manilla, then diving off a small Is. in Palawan so can fill u in on those places.

The PI is a beautiful country with some beautiful women. Also the poorest place I've ever been. I was stunned to see the poverty there.

If you're white skinned, there are places you're taking a risk by going now. Manila, Angeles, and Olangapo are probably ok but they are starting to experience their share of violence. Don't go to the southern PI unless you are a missionary (in which case you probably wont care if you die), or you're not a missionary but don't care if you die.

Sounds rough but picking through your pockets after you're dead is not the time for "them" to find out you are not the American trophy they'd hoped for.

It will get better but, in the mean time, try Thailand...

yep, been to a few places there! insane waves, women , but food was average (sounding Japanese aren't i??)

Angels City was a bigger version of tre Tes in Indonesia.. One for the boys definately..

But waves in Typhoon season went off big time!

food sucks but the beaches are amazing. i loved it there. palawan is great if you are looking for a really quiet undeveloped place, theres like one road through the whole island and its tiny.

Cebu, borocay etc are safe and you can go there and se the cracking beaches. it will be cheap too cos no-one is going there anymore. i went in summer of 2000 and it was very quiet, it will be even more quiet now.

I hated thailand but loved philippines.

There looks like there are some insane waves in the philippines. Cloud 9 is the most famous but there are literally hundreds of islands... shame that a group of Aussie surfers died on a domestic plane flight over there late last year. I bet those guys would have worked their butts off to save that money to get over there...

Definitely somewhere I want to visit though.

Zwelly,

I was staying out on the Islands and food while nice was good but I was dissapointed with the lack of "phillipino food" whatever that really is! That could be because the fact that we were staying at surf camps, but even in small villages was missing "something"?

Fruit & seafood was awsome!

eg. in Indonesia they have a heap of cultural dishes from all over the islands, my fav being Masakan Padang...mmmm \:D

The phillies seems pretty standar western fair to me!

There are a lot of Filipinos in Hawaii, so I ate plenty while I was growing up. When I went to the P.I., I got the chance to experience a little more "authentic" stuff - it was all good to me. Crispy Pata , Pork Adobo, - two of my favorite foods. Don't get much of that up here in Misawa...