Mr and Mrs Davo are looking for somewhere in the region where we can laze on the beach and not be rained upon. Most of Thailand is out and we're on a one week trip so it has to be easily accessible. Does anyone have a good suggestion?

For easy access and ultra cheap my pick of the picks would be Sado Island off the coast of Niigata. Woah you are saying but hooooollllld on....

Anyone that has been to an earth celebration (taiko) festival will tell you that Sobama Beach on the southwest coast of Sado is great. White sand beaches, clear water, peaceful, safe (except for maybe a few N Korean agents 25 years ago)and the scenery absolutely gorgeous. Fishing villages, green green paddies looking over the blue blue sea. Whenever we go we camp and usually get a big posse and just take one car over on the ferry and mooch on the beach and take turns cruising the island in the car.

The first time I went I took a 3 day weekend and when i got back Id had a 2 week RnR holiday. Anyway can give you more info if youre interested, just saying dont overlook whats in your backyard!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'd have to agree with you Zwelgen and I will get to Sado one day. We do a lot of trips around in Japan but this time we want out for about 9 days. Considering Fiji or somewhere else in the Pacific as well.

The Perhentian Islands in Malaysia are the nicest beach destination I've been to. Beautiful beaches, very clean water and hardly developed. I don't remember it being that wet in summer.

Guam is nice - I've been twice. If you go for a week, it might be good to arrange some activities like trekking, shooting, diving or something. Hiring a car and seeing the whole island is a good idea, and looking for isolated beaches.

We stayed at a Korean-run hotel and had some great food in the restaurant downstairs.

Snorkeling is great too - they have some very strange fish, and I also met a little shark which was exciting...

Yeah Perhentians were great when I went about 6 years ago-just getting there and back from KL cuts 2 days into a 9 day trip though. I guess Bali is our best bet then.

If you don't mind lazing on the beach in your snow clothes and swimming in dry suits I reccomend NZ!

You have a better chance of getting a deep tan too!

Quote:
Originally posted by db:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
Indonesia....as safe as anywhere else in the world.
are you serious? Wouldn't that depend on where in Indonesia you went?
have to agree with db. i would avoid kalimantan like the plague. there are few places in indo i would feel "safe" in.

not recommending the Mr & Mrs Davo head off into the jungles of Kalimantan or Sulawesi etc. They did say laze on the beach as a main activity so I should have actually have said BALI... but I will be off to Indo a few times this dry season probably Sumbawa, Sumba, west java & Samatra. I don't see Indonesia as being any more dangerous than the next place...except for a few out of the way hotspots..

All of my friends that stayed or have returned to back to Bali to live since the bombing report that everything is pretty much normal, tourists are starting to come back slowly.

Davo, if you need any info just ask mate!

• 2 months later...

Guam or Saipan would be ideal destination(only about 4hr from Japan, relatively cheap and English is spoken there)but may be a bit pricey in July/August. I was there back in April for 5 days and had a great time! \:\)