from Guam you can hop very easily to other Micronesian island, like the Yap Islands. There is some very good but not so consistent surf hidden amongst them. If you Scuba then you are in for a real treat.

Guam is a good place to go. I just got back from 5 days there and I am glad I chose it. Don't go expecting a super cheap place (like Indonesia) though. It is definitely the USA (as the tourist board really wants you to know). But the weather is fantastic, the sea is beautiful, and most importantly the people are unbelievably friendly.

I arrived in Guam not having any clue as to where I should go or where I should stay. I walked to Tumon (the main tourist area) from the airport and just started going into hotels. Most were considerably overpriced (up to and over $200). The ones in the $75 range were usually a ways away from where I wanted to be or they had no view at all. Some advice - keep walking. I found the coolest place and best deal there. A hotel called the Bayview Ohana about 2 blocks from the main intersection up on the hill. For only $75 a night I got a huge, beautiful room with 2 queen sized beds, an awesome balcony with an unbelievable view of the bay and all of Tumon (probably the best view in Tumon) and since their pool was undergoing renovations from the typhoon, I got to use the pool and beach club at the Outrigger, maybe the nicest facility on Guam.

There is not a ton to do in Guam though. It is a good place to relax. There are many American restaurants and plenty of titty bars and gun clubs if that is your thing. Most of the tourists there are Japanese or military. And there is a bunch of shopping of course.

But the overwhelming element for me was the cool people I met. On some advice from a bartender I checked out a little pool hall called The Magic Stix about a half hours walk from Tumon. There I met totally cool locals that made it their mission to show me a good time the whole time I was there. From drinkin on the beach until the sun came up, to taking me to hidden beach coves, to throwing a huge party in my hotel room, to even driving me to the airport, I had a fantastic time all because of them.

Anyway, Guam surprised me. It wasn't what I was expecting...but then I had no idea what to expect. Either way, I had a great time.

Hey S_F - thanks man. Yeah I have been pretty busy with movin to Tokyo, and a girl, and lack of internet, and goin to Guam...

Easy fellas! I met lots of cool people there, both dudes and chicks...anyway, I am into Japanese girls right now... oh, did I mention there are a lot of Japanese tourists in Guam ;\)