Advice! Jogging or exercise bike?

OK, I want to lose some weight.

I'm cutting down on food and eating better.

But I need to exercise more too.

I don't have much time, and what I do have is about 30 minutes each (late) evening. I'm thinking of either getting an indoor exercise bike and doing that for half an hour or going out jogging for the same?

Which will be the most effective? (The goal is to lose weight, with getting fit an added bonus!)

Any words of advice or encouragement?

Cheers

Jogging would be better. Interval (anerobic exercise) is better for you and you'll begin to lose weight.

Just make sure you have a pair of decent trainers for road running cos you'll get shin-splints, which aren't pleasant.

Sorry...

It's when you train really hard for 2 to 3 minutes to get your heart rate up, then have a 'cool down' period for about 5 minutes (still jogging though not walking!) to recover, then train hard again (sprinting) then cool down in intervals....it's hard work but you'll feel much better for it...

The when your down the pub, you feel that pint is justified!

It may depend how old you are, but 'impact' sports are supposed to make your bones stronger too. Pounding the pavement beats bashing your biffin. (You can tell I have Phd in physical ed. \:D )

with just 30 mins and weight loss being the main goal I would skip the weight training and stick with the aerobic excersice. Depending on your weight start out walking fast and slowly ease into running. I have always had problems with the dreaded "shin splints" and would recommend trying to run on softer surfaces if available (such as GRASS.. ha wheres that U say?)

good luck

and don't fall into that trap that just because you had a run today that you can have a few more beers tonight!

Also, if at all possible do it in the morning - Part of the reason interval training works is that it makes your motabilism run alot faster for hours afterward rather than just while you are doing the exercise as with slow jogging. You may have trouble sleeping properly if you do your sprints before bed.

That said if night is the only option then its better than not doing it.

Good luck.

Hey thanks, I started the jogging on Monday night. Hard work, but theres a really good 2.5km course near my house (well, it's a course in my mind!). Had to stop 3 times (!), so hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to get it done without stopping.

I feel better already!

Hey I've just started jogging again and getting all the initial aches. It's definately the way to lose weight but you've got to be careful as it's very high impact. Good shoes, preferably a non-sealed surface and building up your strength/stamina slowly are the best ways to do it. Try to run for longer than 30 min though Orange-build yourself up to 50-60 three times a week and you'll get what you're after. Good luck.

Orange, like mr matthews said do some intervals or some sprints. Its will help you more to mix it up and will keep it more interesting that just pounding the pavement..