• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fattwins - No skins, I am not into back country touring yet - next couple of years maybe.

I have a question for either you or toque or any other gear head around here.

The skis in my quiver are (L-R)

04/05 Volkl 724 EXP 177cm (114-74-102)

03/04 Volkl V-Pro 180cm (113-83-105)

04/05 Volkl Gotama 190cm (130-105-122)

I am going to be spending 3 weeks in Niseko from January 22 2005 and need help deciding what skis to take.

The Gotama's are in - that part is easy. \:D

Here are a few ideas.

1.) Only take the Gotama's, and if we get unlucky with the snow ([anti-jinx])hire a set of carve skis for a couple of days.

2.) Take Gotama's and 724 EXP's, the Gotama's for pow days and the EXP's for non - pow / terrain park / carving days. This choice would work as the Gotama's are likely to be a bit much for non pow days, the EXP's go quite well in the park, they carve well and are pretty light and easy to ski.

3.) Take Gotama's and V-Pro's, again the Gotama's for the Pow days, the V-Pro's for park days, non pow days or light pow days. V-Pros, can carve but they are a bit of hard work, they are good in the park but a little long. These skis were originally my powder ski for Australia. They don't fit in my quiver so well these days as I want a more park oriented park ski.

I think I am leaning more towards option 2, although if option 1 works, I would sell both the V-pro's and the EXP's as I am rethinkning my quiver for next OZ season anyway.

Any thoughts.

Ski Beaver

Where are you and your mates staying?

Hope ya dont have any down days too but hearing the rumors from last year... I just remember two years ago it went off!!

FT,

Even if I take pics with my digital I cant get them on the computer cuz I dont have da software. Stoopid eh? Sent it home... Ooooppps \:o

Toque, like your response.

YP, I think we are staying at Lodge Hauka, it is self catered, 5 minute walk to the village centre, close to shuttle stop etc etc.

What about night sessions in the terrain park, am I going to need a park ski?

SB,

Is that the place that was bought out by a couple of blokes from OZ? Cool man. The park, I didnt make it up there last year but when I was up there the previous year the park was so-so. Seems they got some foreigner to design it or something - but thats only hearsay so dont quote me on it. Def. take you pow skis and one other pair just in case... renting is so expensive unless you dont mind.

SB,

Do you know the guys who bought it? I met that crew of like 15 Aussies when they stayed at the hotel I was working at 2 years ago. Good crew they were - hard core skiers and just as nice and friendly as they came.

Maybe Ill see you in Niseko - lookin at going Jan 3rd-10th or so...all depends on my Nagano trip beforehand. Hopefully get some huge dumps!! \:D

SB depends on how much you you want to travel too.

If you can get 2 skis on the plane i would bring my... V pros not the best carving ski but would be better in the park.

If you really dig carving then the other ski is a must. Im a park rat on bad days.