Anyone help with this one?

OK.

Case 1:

Jog 6km without stopping.

Case 2:

Jog 3km, stop and walk slowly for about 500m, jog 3km more.

I know it probably won't make that much difference, but which of those will use the most calories?? I was wondering if stopping and then starting again was effective at all.

Cheers!

in this scenario i think you'd burn more by just running the whole time.

an alternative could be walk for about 3km, then run for 5...this would extend the time you are exercising and thus burn more.

or

you could do interval training where you mix a slightly faster run with walking. Say 5mins run, 2mins walk. this will increase your cardio. If you do this it is still a good idea to have one xtra long slow run each week to increase your stamina.

as it stands, the second route will burn more calories, because you are doing more work - it's simple physics, my good theOrange.

work = force x distance

So if you up your distance, you up your workload.

but there is a flip side - in order to effectively burn fat, your pulse has to be in a range called something like the "working heart rate" for a period longer than 20 minutes. If you slow down your pulse to a resting heart rate before 20 minutes, you will go right back to burning glycogen from your muscles resulting in greater fatigue, sluggishness, yet less fat burned.

i think you should post what your goals are theOrange. Maybe you have in the past, but maybe they have changed ? anyway, how you should run depends largely on what goals you want to accomplish.

Cheers!

The goal was: to lose weight and get into shape at the same time.

The goal is: to lose a bit more weight and keep in shape/get into better shape.

I just thought that the running without stopping might be more beneficial because the heart would be pumping non stop instead of having that rest time.

All interesting stuff.

I find it quite hard to run for the sake of running. ie if im out there to get fit or loose weight its all a bit too tedious. However, every year I am kinda army volentered for the 10k in the local half marathon. Running to get a faster time than last year and practicing to better my time is much easier to keep doing for me. It also motivates me to push it every time especially near the end when I can kind of see what my time might be.

I havn't put on my runnng shoes since the event though.

Yeah, I know that feeling. My legs feel unfulfilled when I try to get to sleep, and I have ants in my pants. (I usually run on weekday nights, but I don't get the ants on weekends when I don't usually run. I think they prolly drown in the booze.)

No, I don't actually lose weight - I maintain my weight. If I didn't run I would get fat and hate myself.

The wiggle walk that I do to warm up is good for eliminating love handles too. You walk with straight legs placing each foot directly in front of the other. You put your arm over your head with your arms twisted, wrists crossed, and palms against each other. You wave your arms in the direction of the step that you're taking. This gets tiring very quickly and requires a lot of concentration to maintain. (I take my excercise after dark ;\) My missus was pretty horrified when I told her I did that in that 'hood.)

I hope that made sense.............(read it in Runners World)

running at a moderate pace for 20 minutes will burn a higher RATE of calories than running at a fast pace for 20 min. But, you will of course burn more running at a faster pace over the same time interval.

Don't know the science behind it all, but from experience:

- If you step into a higher heart rate level, you may find that will lose more weight.

- Increasing the amount of time that you are running for is a key factor.

- less intake of calories and more expenditure of energy burning the ones you took in

Hope this helps.

Orange,

Like Forum and grungy gonads said about muscle weighing more than fat - often, when people are on diets, they worry more about how much they weigh rather than how much fat they have burned off. I know you can go to the Green Arena to get the % taken in the water. Maybe that would give you some differnt insight into how well the running has been paying off.

I love running - always have. Of course I enjoy it for the health benefits but more for being out in nature, the stress it relieves (not like golf), and the meditational (sounds like a real word ;\) ) effects I feel it has on me. Cheers!

Orange,

ITs pretty cold outside but a bike ride for a while is good. keeps your thights strong without putting pressure on your knees or ankles too. Swimming, aqua jogging, situps, and pushups are good too. My arms arent as strong now that I dont chug but drinking has me keeping a good pace. \:D

Hope your ankle heals quickly. Trying icing it and taking aleeve. Might help heal quicker ;\)