Recently we've been getting a few calls coming in that start off by asking you something strange things like "You are using a Ricoh copy machine now, aren't you?" or "Last time we spoke...." (when we never spoke before) something else confusing like that just to get you talking.

I'm getting pissed off with this type of crappy sales calls, anyone else getting them at all or is it a local thing in this area.

Doing sales calls for things like that must be one of the worst depressing jobs imaginable. Who on earth takes them up? I suppose they must get some response otherwise it wouldn't be done.... wakaranai.gif

Another scam apparently going on is, you get a letter in the post saying the company managing your rented apartment has changed - as well as the bank account you're supposed to use for paying your rent...

I don't answer them of course but we seem to get quite a lot of that kind of call at our office. The secretary lady is ever so polite and engages with them for more than a few minutes before politely telling them that she is not interested. She only lets go with a bit of anger when she puts the phone down. Result - up to 10 minutes waster, anger frustration and stress. Why she can't just tell em to bugger off straight off, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally posted by mina2:
"Last time we spoke...." (when we never spoke before)
When they really mean, the last poor sucker that had to call you. I caught them out one time, as I started taking their names, and keeping a log.

"Hi, it's Michael, from Laser Print Supplies, and last time we spoke...."
"Actually Michael, can you just hold the line?"
Check list of callers from this company, and choose earliest on I can find in list. Wander off for a couple of minutes and get a coffee.
"Thanks for holding Michael. Actually, last time I spoke to Jonathon, is he around at the moment? I liked him, and I thought I order something from him"
"errrr, um"
"No? Oh well. let him know I asked for him."

OK, so I'm cruel and had 5 minutes to play with their head.

Yes it must be quite depressing. I once had a salesperson get angry WITH ME (can you believe it) when I started getting frustrated at their persistence however much I told them I wasn't interested. Sheesh. wakaranai.gif

Too right. I pissed me off right royally that did. Especially as I was being fairly polite at the beginning until it started to become unwelcome.