My friend and I are in the initial stages of planning a trip to Europe next spring. We're hoping to take a month off and go to a few different countries. We don't want it to be too rushed and have a balanced menu of things to do - mountains, coasts, countryside, city life.

It's still really early on - we're just looking at brochures and the internet and stuff, you know the cool planning phase.

If you were to choose 3 or 4 European countries, which would you go for.....?

cool.gif

Ummm, I hear that Paris is a good city. Prague also, although rumours that in peak season it is packed out with English tourists. That is not meant as a bad thing, who know, just what I heard. Turkey has some pretty amazing country side and if you are Australian/Kiwi it also has ANZAC cove if that is your type of thing. I hear that the Spain/Portugal combo seldom let visitors down, likewise parts of Italy. For mountain and then cosmo scene Try the Swiss alps through to the Dolomites (Nth Italy) and then down into Milan and onto Venice. I have heard rumours of some semi-hidden magic in parts of Eastern Europe (hint: amazing beaches on inland seas). St Petersburg would be amazing for a city, but you need to arrange a visa for Russia. Munich is sexy and attractive and all round a fantastic city and Berlin is in a league of its own. I love what I have seen of Berlin. I do not know much about Scandinavian countries. But I hear the have very impressive coast lines. I am going to Sweden the weekend after next and checking out Stockholm and also a small coastal fishing town. I will no doubt tell all. The crystal clear water in parts of the Med is worth floating around in. I have spent a few weeks on Crete and loved it. No surf though…. But great water and way of life. There are 100’s of great Med destinations, don’t just look at Crete. What is cool about Europe is that there is so much to se, so many great areas and different cities all in a very small area with fantastic ancient sites and countryside in between. I am biased, I like Europe.

I'm going to Scandanavia for most of this summer. The fjords in Norway, hiking in the arctic circle north sweden, and Stockholm look like the main highlights, but the whole area is huge and stuffed with loads of cool places. A little pricey though.

Florence is amazing and well worth a trip.

I dont like Spain at all.

London has tons of stuff to do and is good in summer. Also cheap to fly to. Theres cool stuff a stones throw from london too so you could do a week here and then use the super cheap european flights to get anywhere within europe.

check out THIS AMAZING SITE OF EVERY CHEAP FLIGHT IN EUROPE!!!

Also check out Ryan Air. If you do a minimum 14 day advanced purchase and can be flexi with when you travel then you can fly from London to heaps of European destinations for less than £40 return. You can get heaps of flights for as low at £1, but you have to fly at the least desirable times. However, if you do not have to budget your time then you can jump around Europe for almost nothing.

A trip around Europe? Spend it all in the UK and take in Bristol, Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Islington. That would be a trip to remember.

Seriously, I would be going to Spain and Portugal and then deep in the countryside of central Europe exploring.

I'd go for 1 of 2 courses, depending on the mood.

Course 1:

France, Spain, Portugal

Course 2:

Austria, Switzerland, Southern Germany, Italy

I've done both, loved them both, depends on what you want out of it. Love Europe.

Highly recommend the czech republic, especially in the south moravian district, still pretty unknown, a little place called cesky krumlov (sp?) 3 hours south of Prague. Amazing village completely surrounded by a river, overlooked by a great castle. Very cool. great bars, great beer, great people.

cesky krumlov

Florence is a great city, and I heard the Dalmatian coast in Croatia is out of this world. That's it.....I'm going travelling again very soon

• 2 weeks later...

I've never seen the Mediterranean and I have been thinking a lot about how cool a month or two trip would be starting in Spain and working my way through France and Italy along the coast; then sailing across the Ionian and exploring Greece and Turkey. I imagine that is a little ways off though.

I'd highly recommend Wales. A wonderful country full of pipe smoking farmers, rain, hills and bogs. Add to this that no one will speak to you in English in Mid and North Wales and you'll have a great time.

On a more serious not, why don't you try "Eurorail" I'm not fully aware if it is avaliable to people outside of Europe, or the age restrictions, but it costs 250 and you can ride free around the wonderful European rail network for 1 month (i think). So technically you can travel from Casablance to Copenhagan, Prague to Paris!

www.euro-rail.org/

yeah i'd def recomment a eurail pass. you can get one for unlimited travel for 1 month or two or one with a limited number of unconsecutive days. i had a 10-day pass about 5 years ago and it was really easy to cheat to get extra days cool.gif

I would reccomend a eurail pass as well. While a student I grabbed a first-class one (the only type available??) and I thought the very fast train from Amsterdam to paris was amazing. It seemed a lot faster than Shinkansens but that may have been the space cake and assorted smokeables consumed before leaving the 'Dam \:D