Are you an "instant mailer"?

Some people I know reply to mails almost instantly and as soon as they get a mail from me. Others seem to wait a few days, or even a week to reply.

I am one of those people who replies almost as soon as I get a mail - even if it's just a "thank you, I'll think over it" kind of acknowledgement.

What kind of mailer are you?

I am a mixture. If I want to give a proper response, like writing a letter, then I may leave it until my frame of mind is appropriate.

I dislike the rudeness that is adopted in email 'conversations'.

"hey db, want a beer tonight"

"sorry mate, cant make it, working late"

.........silence, no response.

People go in my semi-bad book as rude if they don't mail back at that stage with something like "no probs, next time".

It is as though once you are of no serviceable use for them they decide they can no longer afford the time to respond with a simple 5 word closing message. Rude pricks.

some people find it annoying/spam when they get replies that say next to nothing like 'ok no worries, maybe next time'.

I agree with you that people should take the time to say stuff, but just be aware that some people might not do because they think it would actually be rude to do so.

I hate people, especially professionals, who dont include the original message when they reply. That has caused me loads of hassles.

Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:
db, you're one unhappy, pissed off dude....It's just email man.
not at all, I just know what I like and speak my mind about that which I do not like.

You are right that it is just email but it is also “just manners”.

No offence but I quickly learnt in Japan (the second America) that Americans have a distinctly different perception of manners to Australians. Not all of them, but some most certainly.

If someone emails me and I am not able to meet up with them then I expect that they should still be able to maintain a conversation with me anyway, or at least have the common decency to conclude the exchange. If they are not able to do this then obviously the request to hang out was “all about them” anyway and in fact they are not at all interested in seeing me, more so interested in having themselves seen and having something to do that night that suited their needs at the time.

I see the point that an extra email with “no probs mate” might be seen as inbox spam, but for starters it is not spam as it is from someone I am exchanging emails with and secondly, it only takes me 1 second to open an email and read “no worries, take care and catch up over a beer next time” then hit escape, delete, F9 (flo Lotus Notes users).

Email has become a normal part of our communication habits yet normal levels of manners are very much lagging.

I used to have a GM that had the worst email manners.

No intro, just straight into the message, no punctuation, no paragraphs.

Damned hard to read, hard to answer, easy to ignore \:D

whats a GM?

d_b - yeah but some people dont have an email program on their own computer, and just use yahoo mail at mail.yahoo.com. so for them its a bit of a hassle to write short polite messages, and also they probably get pissed off when they recieve them (because obviously reading your mail online takes much much longer, especially if you are in the UK or somewhere where most people still have 56k modems). For me I have outlook express and always appreciate and try to write politely, but I'm just trying to show you the other persons perspective.

I absolutely completely agree with Mr deebee.

clap.gif

Some people are so cold in their emails and I really dislike that.

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby12:
whats a GM?

d_b - yeah but some people dont have an email program on their own computer, and just use yahoo mail at mail.yahoo.com.
That is a fair point. Using online (browser based) email is a pain.

I respond when I have something to say. I don't make a quick response for the sake of quickly responding. It would be fake. I do answer direct questions almost imediately after receiving them though.

db, could you elaborate on the Japan as a second America thing. And if you care to add, are there 3rd, 4th, 5th ...America's as well? And if so, are our perceptions of manners collectively the same or are there differences in the mini-America's manner systems?

2nd America: Japan is in places and American colony. The Japanese most of the time think western = American. America wrote the Japanese constitution. The American Government has significant influence on the LDP, which has had power for how long? In Tokyo you can see Times Square, Statue of Liberty plus other lesser imitations of American sights and concepts. In Tochigi you can see a copy of Mt Rushmore. Most Japanese that speak good English usually have an American accent from their time in America rather than other English speaking nations. In Japan tea is served with cream, not milk. By Japanese or American intent, Japan reflects America.

3rd America: Soon to be Iraq, but that place will be the thorn in the side of your country for decades to come. One day it will be forgotten by America and set adrift to become the world’s problem. This will perhaps coincide with macro changes in global oil price and supply.

100th America: Any country that has prolific Macdonalds and Starbucks outlets.

Manners: Speaking in averages here, but I have found white American males from middle class to upper middle class families that do not have semi-recent ethnic influence and without much tertiary education to have a different definition of manners*. Don’t be offended by this. Australians have a very odd idea about manners as well. We will generally quite rudely come out swinging and tell you to F-off at the drop of a hat, but we will also nearly always say please and most importantly extend appreciation and thanks plus a helping hand where we can. Everyone is different, even American citizens.

* I will poison my own well by pointing out that I meet the bulk of such people in my workplace and so only meet a certain subset of this wider group of people as defined above. As for my comments on 'ethnic background' I am people who's grandparents, for example, were born outside of America. On average these people are pretty well mannered. On the other hand, those young guys (under 40?) that I have met and who's families are as American as apple pie.... well these people often forget to be courteous.

Well, it depends. I am usually quite fast if only because if I don't reply fast it gets lost. But too fast and it becomes silly. I cant imagine living without email now though, can you?

How many people use only internet based mail? Surely almost none. Certainly very few.

I have friends who are not using internet based mail who are always, always, bordering on rude with their mails and it seems to be the norm (for them anyway).

How well mannered are the Brits then db?

Quote:
Originally posted by frannyo:
How many people use only internet based mail? Surely almost none. Certainly very few.
really? i only use internet based mail- have accounts with hotmail, yahoo, and gmail. its easy to do lots of mail at work on the comps in the teachers room or when i travel. i have my own laptop, but i just use internet-based mail on it too. time to load isnt a prob bc most comps i use have fast connections.

am i really one of the few who do?