Anyone remember Live Aid?

Well, seems they're doing another

-------------------

Live Aid II

LIVE Aid is to be held AGAIN — 20 years on.

The mega concert to ease Third World debt — on the anniversary of the 1985 original — will be unveiled this week.

Tony Blair is backing what promises to be the greatest pop bash in history.

Last night a Whitehall source confirmed: “It’s going to be bigger and better than before.”

Live Aid II is the brainchild of U2 rocker Bono, 44.

He will officially announce it this week.

Robbie Williams and Oasis are tipped to head a stellar line-up of acts next year that could also include Coldplay and Radiohead.

Sir Paul McCartney and Phil Collins, stars of the first Live Aid, may also appear.

The 1985 event, staged simultaneously at Wembley and in Philadelphia, was watched on TV by 1.4billion worldwide.

"Stellar line-up" with Oasis and robbie williams :rolleyes: Now there is oxymoron if ever there was one. Where does Bono come up with these original and brilliant ideas?

Of course I know that. How naive of you to even think that. Go figure indeed. wakaranai.gif

Many pop stars and celebrities border on the numbskull. Bono is not one of them. The guy is not stupid, even if you disagree with his politics whatever.

Perhaps instead of large popular acts like Oasis and Robbie Williams, Live Aid II could have acts such as Phish, String Cheese Incidents and other bollocks that 0.000005% of the world have heard of. Sounds great.

I actually didn't mind some Oasis back in the day, but their popularity is a bit on the wane nowdays innit? As for Robbie Willams.....well he is very popular, but so is j-pop. Go figure \:D

Bono is no fool, just not very original. As for Phish being described as a unknown band, better check your facts there scoobysnacks, their following in America is huge ;\)

Anyway as long as it is for a good cause then that is cool. I just hope people don't use it as opportunity to resurect flagging carrers (erm....Elton John.....cough......Lady Di's funeral...whoops said to much)

Bad example there maybe with the phish hippie dudes.

The point is, Oasis and Robbie Williams are popular artists.

The Jpop comment, hmm is that relevant? From what I can gather Live Aid is more about getting as much publicity as possible and so money as possible - so big names bring the interest. It's not about fashion or trendiness of a Glastonbury-like lineup now is it?

Now we are talking gg, as long as they promise to do "Venus". Where has my avatar gone, I really don't know. I'll have to fix that. Stay tuned for something suitably quirky.

I will be suprised if Liam and Noel refrain from punching each other during the gig. Might need a band-aid at Live-aid lol.gif (god what a crap joke)

I often thought why Bob didn't get a Number 2 going. You'd have thought it would have become a much more regular thing.....

• 1 month later...

We'll have the original one to 'enjoy' in the meantime. 4 dvd set coming soon

The LIVE AID concert is set for a DVD release this autumn.

Artists including Madonna, U2, David Bowie and Queen gathered together for a transatlantic extravaganza in London and Philadelphia to raise money for Ethiopian famine victims in 1985.

The concert has never been released on any format but now, but, as previously reported on NME.COM, organisers decided to auction off the rights to release the concert footage after pirate copies were discovered for sale on the Internet earlier this year.

Now Billboard reports that Warner Vision International has won the bidding, and will release the four-disc package on November 10.

Alongside both concerts the package will also include a documentary titled 'Food, Trucks & Rock 'n' Roll'.

Live Aid organiser Bob Geldof, who has poured scorn on the prospect of a 20th anniversary concert in 2005, said: "Twenty years ago they not only played 'real good for free,' they took an issue that was nowhere on the agenda of the political world and placed it at the very top.

"By buying the Live Aid DVD, that day continues far off into some distant, but hopefully better, future for all those people in whose name those great artists played."

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...