so i have just moved to nagoya, does anyones else live here? if so where are the best places to ride aside from the ever so typical answer, "take the night bus to nagano" what is the riding like in the area, and where are the best places to go. pow pow particularly, then (pardon the expression) as much gnar as possible if at all. is it available in the area? does anyone tour?

lata, thanx

you can hit up takasu pretty easy from where you are. no traffic and its 1.5 hours away. 2.5 free road. send Oufreeski2 a private or email. He has a car and live in the middle of nags. as for good hiking you can hit all the lines you want if you know where to go. The problem is knowing where to go.

If you don't have a car or a ride...

Meitetsu has a ski/snowboard bus service (their ticket centre is under the Bus Area in the Melsa Building, by Nagoya Station... PM me if you need details) to various resorts in Gifu leaving from Nagoya Station early in the morning (7am) and usually arriving back in the evening (8pm).

Includes bus fare, lift ticket and discount rental tickets for 6000-8000 yen inclusive.

My girl and I went to Meiho about 6-7 times last year. Nothing spectacular, just dirt cheap.

We also took the train to Nagano a couple of times, which is also reasonable. Nagoya to Nagano in less than three hours.

Not sure about the best resorts, but if you do some research in the reviews section on this site, you should be able to get a good idea about the best places in the area.

thanx everyone.

toque, i was in golden last winter, spent four years in banff before that. what are the crowds like in gifu? are you and a few other gaigen the only ones rippin pow, or has it caught on there?

are you aqua toque from biglines.com?

has anyone been up to hokkaido? or northern honshu?

Its nothing like back home mate. You will get your pow dont worry.

I think you will be more happier in Nagano or bit more north in Gifu. Why? bigger mountains a bit more north. Gifu has the freestlye thing big time and short powder lines and some decent touring. The biggest mountains in the area are accessible but more like camping trips than day trips.