Me, rarely buy CDs, except for artist that I really like. Usually borrow them from mates or video stores and burn em to CD/MD.

My mates and I right now have been burning packs of 10MDs and sending them to each other. Great deal and you never know what they will send.

DL DL DL. I've only bought maybe a handful of albums on CD in the last two years.

If the RIAA had been ahead of the curve and embraced technology instead of resisting, it could have been great for consumers and business. Instead they choose to keep trying to hold a grip on an old school business-model, dying a slow painful death. Apple store is on the right track, but $1 a song is still too expensive IMO. Buy an album with 20 tracks and you're paying the same amount of money for a lossy compressed version of an album without the nicely designed cd booklet. Seems like the consumer still gets the ish end of the stick.

until prices become more reasonable, or good subscription services become available, I'll stick to soulseek. \:\)

Soulseek has a really good library, and search results change depending on who is signed on to the network. So if you're looking for something tough to find, add the name of the artist and/or album to your wishlist and it will automatically pop up a list of results when someone who has it signs on. If it's something I know I'll never find online like a Japan-only release, I'll just buy the CD (unless of course it's one of those 3000+ yen discs).

use winmx for japanese files. turn all your lang settings to japanese and install global IME.

i have found i can get anything from slsk and winmx. no matter how rare. i have tons of bootleg albums of jeff buckley and people like that that i got off there.

I am very new to all this. But I have a question. Please be gentle with me...!

OK when I have downloaded some mpgs before now, they were ok but when I make a cd out of them they are noticeably inferior to a "bought" CD. Is this always the case? (I think the bitate, whatever that is, was 192 or something).

I heard on the Japanese news that they are considering banning the sale of the cheaper import CDs.

I find it funny that some of the record companies way of going about the whole problem is being strict with people who actually spend money on their product in the first place (ie all this copy control stuff).

And - how come you can still copy the copy control cds in itunes? not complaining mind \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by rachael:

OK when I have downloaded some mpgs before now, they were ok but when I make a cd out of them they are noticeably inferior to a "bought" CD. Is this always the case? (I think the bitate, whatever that is, was 192 or something).
alot of the time they dull the quality (there's a techy word for this but ive forgotten it) so you are more likely to buy the album. but this usually happens with "official" downloads from a bands website or whatever.

oh and i use soulseek to get stuff i already know about and epitonic.com to discover new bands (their selection is limited but they have alot of stuff i listen to)
 Quote:
Originally posted by rachael:

OK, so mp3 files are compressed to make them smaller, which means that some of the musical information (lets say the really low and really high notes/frequencies) are left out. So when you unconpress the file and burn it onto a CD you can never regain the lost musical information, so the song quality suffers. The higher the bitrate, the less the file is compressed so the less musical information (frequencies) is lost during conversion to an mp3 file. A bit rate of 192 is pretty high and should sound pretty good on most normal stereos so maybe the quality of the original (non-compressed file) was a bit suspect to begin with. Some people suggest that with a bit rate of 320 you would not be able to hear the difference from the original CD.

This is why AAC compression is a bit better than mp3 because for the same bit rate (file size) you lose less of the original information. iTunes can import music using AAC and iPODs can play them so you should switch your preferences if you haven't already. Wakarimasu?

Rachael you actually said mpgs in your post but I assumed you meant mp3. If I was wrong then sorry, me bad. mpg is normally a type of compression used for video and sound.

I hope I have made things clearer for some. \:\)