Yuki's , nah I haven't done a race here. I find this place too difficult to train in.

Seems hard to find a place here where you can get into a swimming squad early am, riding is a hassle as you have to go miles before getting out of the lights etc etc.

Because I used to race at a high level i don't think I will ever get back into Triathlons till i go back to Oz. because I need to train 2-3 times a day with a squad preferably.

Have done the 1/2 Ironman too, my next goal was to qualify for Foster Ironman (OZ) & Hawaii.. but got glandular fever and kept getting relapese which hammered my training \:\(

one day I would love to do it again, maybe when I get sick of my wife and kids!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet! Im sure we trained with the same kind of groups. So many of the guys living in Hawaii were amazing!! (as of course is Oz) S0 many guys were doing under 1:50 for olympic distance and well under 9:00 in Kona.

I know what you mean about the training. Its such a dedication and just not worth it unless you have that caliber athletes to train with. I think thats why my pops was racing Kona every year, he couldnt stand being around us! lol.gif Seriously though, it was really cool to go to Kona every year (he raced it 4 times) That was back in the Scott/Allan years clap.gif

Quote:
I wish Americans were a little more into the olympic games
That was interesting to read. I would have thought it was blanket coverage of Olympics over in the US? Is that not so? You win enough.

Win big but nobody watches or really cares. You see, the olympic games, for the most part, aren't the kind of sports Americans watch. They aren't the big name, big business sports that make it into American living rooms all year long. Only once every four years.

• 1 month later...

I like watching the Olympics if I happen to be near a TV. I especially like watching the swimming and gymnastics. (and yes, it's also true that there are some nice male bods out there this year).

I read that they just found a highly unusual ancient Greek amphora. Instead of the typical vivid scenes of men involved in trials of skill and stamina, it was decorated with an interview with a discus thrower.

"Spiros, you threw that discus a long way!"

"Yes, I have been training a long time..."

"Can you tell us how you have been training?"

"I have been lifting weights, running, throwing round stones as far as I can ... and that sort of thing."

"Well Spiros, it certainly seems to have paid off!"

"Yes, it has."

I've seen about fifteen minutes so far, the highlight of which was some lady synchronized swimmers executing a new maneuver called "La Grease" where they appear from behind a box of McDonalds freedom fries during the adverts.

Full marks to the Iranian dude with the anti-Occupation protest.

I haven't been too critical of the japanese TV coverage as I have been able to all of the swimming so far.

I must say the repeats are getting a little tedious and I do hope soon that another of the little buggers win gold SOON!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
Full marks to the Iranian dude with the anti-Occupation protest.
Full? he was full of BS, the fat bastard failed the weigh in and was disqualified.
He was just running his mouth off when he knew his chances were forlorn of making the weigh in and he wanted to be provocative.
Full marks? - the man is a disgrace and embarassemnt to his country first and foremost, who gets disqualified for being too fat at the Olympics? His political thoughts are an afterthought.
Who has been eating all the pies.... :rolleyes:

"The IOC stated, "The basic principle of the Olympic Games is that politics plays no part whatsoever in them. U.S. athletes violated this universally accepted principle . . . to advertise domestic political views."

this was in regards to the expulsion of Tommie Smith and John Carlos of the USA, wearing black gloves and doing the Black Power salute at the '68 Olympics.

This Iranian chap is to be rewarded by Iran for his comments? thats sad. Good for him but sad.

He was a world champ and medal contender, I am sure he would have preferred to win a gold medal and collect his bonus rather than bomb out at the weigh in, fire off some politically charged comments out of spite and profit from them.

I know which I would prefer.

IOC should expel him anyway.

Quote:
I love the Olympics. Winter more than Summer though.
The CBC in Canada does almost 24 hour coverage.
Right on, Toque! CBC coverage rocks. I used to live in Michigan, where we could pull in broadcasts from Windsor, Ontario no problem. During the 1976 Olympics in Montreal I think we hardly left the TV except to sleep. You got to see everything...qualifying rounds of pentathlons, up-and-coming flyweight boxers, vicious fencing finals between world beaters who are mostly unknown...sometimes it seemed CBC would just point the camera at a venue and let it run...almost as good as being there.

And the commentary was minimal and unobtrusive. No need to waste 40% of the broadcast time on yet another crushingly dull and panderingly idiotic "Up Close And Personal" report about how some twit trained for the Olympics, what he ate, what time he woke up, what his family and neighbors said...

Canada does so many things better.

\:D

PS - Nice to see you over on the TGR boards too...obviously you have as much free time on your hands as I do.

> No need to waste 40% of the broadcast time on yet another crushingly dull and panderingly idiotic "Up Close And Personal" report about how some twit trained for the Olympics, what he ate, what time he woke up, what his family and neighbors said...

Personally I wish they would show us their feces too for a fully rounded picture of the athlete. "Here are Kitajima's turds. As one would expect from the son of a butcher, they show signs of a lot of protein consumption, and some fat."

Quote:
Originally posted by badmigraine:
 Quote:
I love the Olympics. Winter more than Summer though.
The CBC in Canada does almost 24 hour coverage.
Canada does so many things better.
Including TV comedy (see my Tralier Park Boys thread for a prime example)
 Quote:
Originally posted by kamo:

He was a world champ and medal contender, I am sure he would have preferred to win a gold medal and collect his bonus rather than bomb out at the weigh in, fire off some politically charged comments out of spite and profit from them.
There's a lot more at stake with the illegal occupation of Palestine than "spite". :rolleyes:

The USA boycotted the Moscow Games. They were still allowed to host the following games that experienced a tit-for-tat boycott. Why drag up the Black Power salutes as an example of the games being politicized?