OK so I'm always going on about football (well, its just so much fun!) - but anyone interested much in the Olympics?

I suppose I'll end up watching some of it, but it never really gets me excited like football does.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Japanese coverage will leave me pretty cold. What exactly are they going to show besides the judo and the womens marathon?

Normally I really like to watch it and get all inspired. From someone who played a lot of high level volleyball I really enjoy the coverage of that sport. Will miss Roy and HG's take on it all as well. Do any aussies known if "The Dream" will be happening at Athens this year?

The Japanese ARE into the Olympics. I respect that. I wish Americans were a little more into the olympic games. I do enjoy the summer olympics. The track and field games are the essence of the olympics to me. It all boils down to who can run the fastest or jump the highest. All the other stuff are games.

I also get a kick out of the basketball competition. The battle for the silver is intense. \:D

I have been looking to see if there will be a dedicated sports channel on cable/ sky but no advertising as yet.

loved roy & HG during Sydney. Will Fatso be making a comeback. Bring on the chiko roll!

I love the olympics!! I lived in Atlanta during the '96 games and saw lots and lots of events!!! Course, it helps if you work for a sponser like Powerbar \:D :p

Fav sports: T&F, footie, kayak, volleyball, triathlon, climbing, roller blading (I think its a recognized event or something yeah?) and surfing. Not in any particular order.

I just love the ceremonies. Nothing like a good ceremony - the costumes, the hand waving, the novel ways of getting the flame into the bowl, the handicapped celebrities of old, the loving nods at indigenous cultures, the long speeches, the white trousers, the flashbulbs.

Of course now that they're in Greece where it all started, there will be some mysterious and moving Grecian ceremonies which will make an interesting counterpoint to some of the fascinating contemporary spectacles that we have become used to.

I have no interest or affection for any aspect of the Olympic games.

When they were in Sydney it was nice to see the event transform the city atmosphere from its usual world beating awesome city vibe to at least three times the already high sense of "shit this is a great city and I am so lucky to live here". It was a cross between mardi gras and NYE for 2 weeks. If it were not for that experience then my heart and mind with be totally devoid of any emotion at all regarding the Olympics. I never complain when they are on. I just don't pay any attention yet I like seeing other people getting joy from the event. It is great the way it gets everyone in society going so in an indirect sense I do benefit from it.

Most memorable Olympics?

The GF and I were having a chat the other day and besides Sydney (great party) we had to say Moscow 1980. It had the best Olympic tune (Moscow, Moscow) and Minshka the bear but it was also one of the first opening ceremonies where the crowd made groovy patterns by holding up different coloured cards and shit. Oh, and the americans weren't there to spoil everyone else fun (troll) ;\)

Bring back Fatso the wombat!

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
I have been looking to see if there will be a dedicated sports channel on cable/ sky but no advertising as yet.
dont hold your breath Indo, I have been on the blower to skyperfect and they told me thats a big negative. NHK has the rights and they are tighter than the NBC in the States. So I believe NHK BS will broadcast a lot of coverage. So if you have a NHK BS Dish or cable channel 17 you are set. If you a skyperfect dish like me you are screwed \:\(
You will be watching baseball, Judo, soccer and a little swimming on free to air TV highlights. Which will absolutely suck if the last olympics was anything to go by.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Yuki's Passion:
They had it in Sydney - it was a demonstration sport along with Triathlon and rock climbing... :p
I think they didn't goi thru with surfing in sydney. & Triathlon was a medal sport in sydney.

I know triathlon was just a demonstration sport but will most likely be added eventually. Some sports get weeded out and some get introduced - didnt golf and cricket use to be in the games too?

Surfin I honestly dont know and didnt see but thought it was the same as the triathlon in 2000. Maybe no. wakaranai.gif Nope, stand corrected, just checked and it wasnt an event.

the coolest thing about the olympics are the athletes. just the fact that they are the BEST in their country or in the world is amazing. they are the absolute top of that sport. i was really lucky in high school to be coached one year by a member of us field hockey team. she was so inspirational and i seriously think i played my best that year.

Quote:
Originally posted by nekobi:
the coolest thing about the olympics are the athletes. just the fact that they are the BEST in their country or in the world is amazing. they are the absolute top of that sport. i was really lucky in high school to be coached one year by a member of us field hockey team. she was so inspirational and i seriously think i played my best that year.
i know what you mean. the captain of the australian field hockey team was a teacher at my school. she didnt coach us, but for someone who played field hockey it was really inspirational having her around.

"While taekwondo and triathlon both debuted as the newest Olympic sports at the Sydney 2000 Games, triathlon was literally the newest sport. Although the origins of taekwondo date back thousands of years, the triathlon dates back to 1978."

from the ollies HP.

Triathlon has been added as an Olympic sport. It was apparently the fastest growing sport in the world a few years back in it's boom. Why the faZination with Tri's? Cos in my teens I was in SASI's jnr. squad and our training aim was 2000 olympics! Ha, alots changed since then!

I think surfing would suck as an olmpic sport? what do ya reckon?

Orange,

LIke 35 or so?

Indosnm,

I started racing back in 84 in Hawaii when living there and continued till college when I could only run cross/T&F. Recently Ive been thinking a lot about going to Kona - of course Ive never done it but have done a half (ironman). Have you ever raced in Japan? Occasionally at the bookstore Ill pick up an issue of triathlon Japan and it seems like they have a good circuit but entryfees are expensive!! eek.gif

Surfin is a cool sport but much of it would depend on the location Im sure.