I wonder what is really going on with Princess Masako. Can't help but think more than they're letting on. When was the last time anyone saw her?

Crown prince says Masako trying to adapt to imperial life

Wednesday, June 9, 2004 at 07:00 JST

TOKYO — Crown Prince Naruhito said Tuesday that his wife, Crown Princess Masako, strongly hopes to resume her official duties after regaining her health and that he intends to fully support her to this end.

In a statement to explain what he meant in his unusually candid remarks in May about his wife and her health condition, the prince said he did not intend to make any specific criticisms with his comments.

She's on strike.

I always wondered when a Royal or an Imperial would do that. Now if they would just do away with the whole farce in all countries that have this laughable system...

Respect to that man for sticking up for his wife in the face of what is essentially bullying. I don't rate any royalty especially highly but he's gone up a notch for speaking out. The Imperial Household Agency is stuck firmly in another era. They're a pack of horrible little beauracrats who represent very questionable values. Why does she have to produce a female heir anyway? Reforms are overdue and the more distasteful they are to rightists the better.

Royalty are essentially useless in a practical sense so their symbolic value should be used to influence society positively. The prince has made a very positive stand here I think.

But what are the chances of anything changing? Very little I think. She hasn't been seen for 6 months, seems there is something very wrong. Poor woman.

>>

Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan has repeated an appeal for his wife to be allowed more freedom.

In a statement on Wednesday, he apologised for distressing his parents with controversial comments made last month, but did not retract them.

The Crown Prince had charged the Imperial Household with denying Princess Masako the chance to travel and lead a more varied life.

The princess has not been seen for six months after a stress-related illness.

There was a flurry of activity around Tokyo's royal palaces on Wednesday as officials from the Imperial Household negotiated the form of words Crown Prince Naruhito would use in his latest statement over his wife.

In it he apologised for causing heartache to his parents, the Emperor and Empress.

But the heir to the Chrysanthemum throne did not budge from his core complaint - that Princess Masako has been put under unbearable strain by the requirements of royal life, and that she should be allowed greater freedom to follow her own interests.

Such bluntness from a member of Japanese royalty is unprecedented, and it has set off a public debate over how bad Princess Masako's condition must be for her husband to speak out like this.

She is reported to have had some kind of nervous breakdown.

Since her marriage 11 years ago, Princess Masako, a former career diplomat, has been under intense pressure to produce a son - only males can succeed to the throne.

But in his statement last month the Crown Prince also referred to other problems - of moves by the notoriously conservative Imperial Household to suppress her personality and career.

He now says he does not want to blame anyone, but it is clear the unhappiness at the heart of the royal family is still there.

This is about as significant as a happening in the british royal family.... zZzZzZzZ :rolleyes:

I wonder what those guys in the loud black vans have to say about all this. don't they want to return power to the emperor/royal family?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the problem is she never wanted to marry him but was forced into it. I heard it took a lot of convincing for her to agree.

Can you imagine what a lifestyle it must be? I dont envy royalty one single bit. Zero freedom.

She was an elite of foreign ministry and had career aim. Her dad was elite diplomat and professor. When reporters asked her about marriage, she always denied it very politely.

I think she was so perfect that Kunaicho couldn't find someone else and urged her and her family to marry him. Japanese people really like her and we wanted her to marry him. He said he would fully support and protect her, so she had been trying to do her best for her career aim as Crown Princess Masako untill she was broken.

I feel sorry for her.

宮内庁

【組織名】Imperial Household Agency

It's the organization that manages the imperial family, as if they couldn't manage themselves if only given the chance.

They maintain this attractively up-to-date website including useful tips on WTF they are saying and where some of your tax deductions go.

The fact that they can drive a normal woman completely nuts in a few short years suggests that they couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery, and that heads should roll. Literally, as in France.

• 1 month later...

Its the furthest they've been statement wise, thats for sure. I wonder when we'll get to see her, or whats going to happen from now on.