Dope ok to prevent ooooligans?

Its nice to see a change in attitude towards pot; Canada and Europe are leading the way towards decriminalizing it - except for America which has a war on it, and everything else which terrifies the US government :rolleyes:

I cant tell you how many times Ive done stupid things in a drunken state - but hooligans are just outta control and allowing them to smoke before the game is brilliant. Itll be interesting to see how the fans act and if allowing smoking decreases the level of violence. Id love to be in Portugal for the game \:D \:D

I have my doubts about this policy. The first few times it might work. As soon as the horrible f*ckers get used to it and it doesn't actually knock them sideways anymore, I predict that things will be worse than ever.

If I had to choose between fighting after beer or after dope, I'd chose dope because I'd have more fun (and win).

they should give them dope back in the uk too >>

Police across England made 83 arrests after fans rioted following England's Euro 2004 loss to France.

Some 400 people were involved in disturbances in Croydon, south London, where police were pelted with missiles and 12 people were arrested.

Another 12 people were arrested in Birmingham after a crowd of 200 caused trouble around the city centre.

This was in sharp contrast to the scene in Lisbon, where England supporters remained peaceful.

Just one England supporter was arrested in the host country - for allegedly punching a stadium official.

Police in Croydon said disturbances there erupted at about 2215 BST on Sunday and continued for about an hour.

Missiles

Two police officers suffered minor injuries and several police vehicles were damaged.

Supt Nick Jupp, of Croydon Police, condemned the violence, saying: "It is totally unacceptable for police officers to be injured as a result of a small minority of people reacting to a football result in this manner."

Fans were stunned by the team's reversal of fortunes

In Birmingham, police had to close off parts of Broad Street for 45 minutes after disturbances broke out at about 2150 BST.

One man was taken to hospital with minor injuries.

The violence involved fans who had been watching the match on a big screen in the city's Centenary Square.

Damage was caused to several pubs, a bus and various hoardings, while several people played football in the main carriageway of Broad Street which led to the road closure.

There were 17 arrests in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, and 31 across Hertfordshire.

And a further 11 were held after two police cars were set alight in Boston, Lincs, and a group of up to 60 people threw bricks and bottles at police.

By contrast, the atmosphere in Lisbon was relatively muted, with many fans still in shock after losing the match in the final minute.

Of the 30,000 England fans thought to have descended on the city, most either gathered in bars to commiserate peacefully or else returned to their lodgings for an early night.

The mood contrasted with the scenes on Sunday afternoon before then game, when hordes of expectant red and white-clad fans brought a festival atmosphere as they gathered for the match in venues around Portugal's capital.

Deported

Even Lisbon's Rossio Square, which had been the focus of celebrations ahead of the game, was unusually quiet in the hours that followed, BBC News Online's Duncan Walker, in Lisbon, said.

But one England fan was deported from Portugal following an assault on a Frenchman on Saturday.

Hordes of fans flocked to Lisbon before the match

Alan John Walker, 29, from Leek in Staffordshire was given a 12-month suspended sentence and a fine of 2,000 euros at a Portuguese court.

He has been banned from returning to Portugal for 12 months.

But the mood of most fans following the France game has been more sombre than belligerent.

In the Docas nightclub sector on the Lisbon's waterfront, police kept a low-key presence.

"So far, so good," one officer said, holding up crossed fingers.

Home Secretary David Blunkett, who was at the match, said afterwards: "Like every other supporter I am bitterly disappointed at tonight's result but I am also very proud of the good behaviour of the vast majority of England fans who are in Portugal to see the tournament."

I just don't friggin get it.

- Brits love their country and want to see it win (this is all cool)

- Brits get behind their country and support the team all the way (this is a logical step)

- Brits see their team lose, so they trash the country, facilities, property of fellow country men etc (WTF?)

Seriously, I do not understand how the mind works; How can people inflict anger and destruction on the very country and people that only a few hours earlier they were passionately cheering for.

Quote:
Originally posted by d=(^o^)=b:

- Brits see their team lose, so they trash the country, facilities, property of fellow country men etc (WTF?)

Armchair psychology here, but this still qualifies as a display of emotion. Frustration that the dream ended or what have you. A sign that you were really taking eleven men you don't know personally kicking a piece of leather (a silver one at that :rolleyes: ) seriously. Add a binge drinking/yob culture and this what you get. It's a bit like the "heart on your sleeve" reaction to Diana's death. Thirty years ago, Beckham would have been called a big puff for crying as he walked off, at least in the North-East where I'm from.

I would also question how much British people love the physical infrastructure of Britain. Many bugger off to Australia, France, Spain, etc. as soon as they get the chance. I think British patriotism is more based in the notion of Britishness, you know, the sense of humour, tolerance for quirkyness, "fair play", etc.

I didn't know the big poof cried.

Soon they'll all be sitting around on the ground like the Japanese team after the WC before last. God how I wanted to kick their arses for them...

I wonder what would happen if this went ahead...

RIOT AGAIN AND WE'RE OUT

Jun 16 2004

England yobs warned

From Paul Byrne And Jeremy Armstrong In Portugal

RIOTING England fans were condemned as "animals" last night after a missile- throwing battle with police on the Algarve.

Hundreds of boozed-up supporters let fly with bottles, tables and chairs after a disturbance outside the La Bamba bar at Albufeira.

Two hours of clashes left 11 people hurt, one a policeman who had three stitches in his head.

Twelve arrests were made - ten of them English fans - as officers in riot gear quelled the trouble, aided by police horses and dogs.

The street outside the bar was strewn with upturned furniture and broken glass after the early-hours rampage yesterday.

A Portuguese father saw his 10-year-old son hurt during the mayhem. He said: "These animals started throwing things. They should be kicked out of the country.

"My son is in hospital and my wife's there, and I have had to take time off work." The family were out for a walk when they became caught up in the violence.

Before the start of Euro 2004, governing body Uefa had warned the Football Association that the team faced being expelled from the competition if our notorious fans turned ugly.

Uefa communications director William Gaillard said yesterday: "We don't want such incidents to be repeated. If they were, we would want to review the situation."

Those held - from Barnsley, Newcastle, Manchester, Oxford, Cleveland, Dudley, Faversham in Kent, and Hertfordshire - are due in court today.

Uefa and Portuguese police had praised supporters after the opening group game against France in Lisbon on Sunday night passed off without incident.

England play Switzerland further north in Coimbra tomorrow - but thousands of fans have gathered in Portugal's southern resorts.

Yesterday's flashpoint came at 1.30am as up to 800 supporters of different nationalities were drinking on The Strip in Albufeira.

Police spokesman Captain Manuel Jorge rejected claims of heavy-handedness after officers initially clashed with one group of English fans.

He said: "There were some people who started to provoke the policemen, they started throwing glasses and bottles.

"The images on TV show that the policemen were simply trying to contain people who had drunk too much. We had to send in the horses to bring the situation under control." Bar owner Florival Pala said of the England supporters on The Strip: "They were wearing England tops, chanting and singing and waving flags.

"They were being watched by a small group of police officers who are from Lisbon, not from round here.

"The officers became concerned by fans at one particular table, who were being especially loud. They moved in and batoned one of them on the legs, then continued to stand nearby.

"Suddenly the tables and chairs started flying. There were 50-60 reinforcement police who moved rapidly to chase the England fans off up the street. There were police horses and dogs involved as well.

"I've been running bars here for 25 years and I can't believe what happened. The police were too nervous. It was ridiculous."

Bar worker Nuno Andrade, who saw the start of the clashes, said: "A police officer was in front of an English fan, who kept taunting him with an English flag.

"The flag then fell to the ground and some of the English thought it was the policeman who had pulled it down. Then the chairs started to rain down."

Up to 400 fans, the vast majority English, joined in the violence. Police confirmed that 12 people were arrested - a Portuguese and a Russian in addition to the 10 English.

Seven English people, one Irish, one Scottish and a Portuguese were hurt, along with the police officer. One England fan claimed a friend had been "ambushed" by police as he tried to walk away from the trouble. He was said to be in hospital with a cracked rib.

A 22-year-old fan from Peterborough, who refused to give his name, said: "Everyone was standing at the bar cheering and the police moved in with batons."

Uefa said: "We are concerned about the violence in the host country. But it was a one-off and not related to any match or the sale of tickets.

"It was an isolated incident far away from where the England team are playing."

Five Germans were also detained in Porto, on the eve of the game with Holland there.

Alan Walker, 29, the first Englishman to be booted out of Portugal, was given a three-year ban from football on arrival back in the UK yesterday.

A previous such order had expired in time for him to go Portugal. He was then fined 2,000 euros and given a 12-month suspended sentence by a court in Lisbon for attacking a French fan.

Walker, a Stoke City fan, from Leek, was arrested at Heathrow on his return and appeared before Uxbridge magistrates.

Branded an "idiot" by his stepfather, Walker is now prevented from entering Stoke town centre on match days, or going anywhere near Stoke City's Britannia Stadium.

He is also barred from towns and cities where his team are playing away games.

Two other known troublemakers - Leeds fans Paul Hayward, 47, and Wayne Fisher, 36, were also in court yesterday.

The pair - stopped trying to board a flight to Portugal after buying tickets in a pub - were barred from attending international games for three years.

Quote:
A 22-year-old fan from Peterborough, who refused to give his name, said: "Everyone was standing at the bar cheering and the police moved in with batons."
Obviously the polices fault, of course. We were only fighting and destroying peoples property

The Portugeuse bar owner's comments suggest the police were indeed partially responsible. However, England fans and British holidaymakers as a whole have got so much previous that they'll get little sympathy.

I think UEFA are taking a wise move in letting this last incident blow over with their "it was a long way from the football" comments. However, if England lose tonight, you can see it kicking off big time.

As for the dope issue, no-one has mentioned that some of Europe's most violent fans support Ajax, who play in the dope capital of Europe, if not the world.