...that is my dilemma now. Since moving up to Kansai Ive gone out on my rollerblades quite frequently in two main areas: one is like a boardwalk along the ocean where people go running, walk their dogs, etc.. the other area, which is very easily accessable from the boardwalk by crossing a pedistrian bridge, is around a construction site. Around the construction site its great, brand new pavement so its smooth, and little to zero cars.

I was back in the construction area for about 45 mins yesterday and didnt see one car. Until the cop car came cruising by. Yup, he waves me over, and starts going off on me about not rollerblading. I was arguing with him for about 20 minutes and in that duration not one car came by. But all he says is its dangerous and its against the laws.

Dangerous, Ill tell you whats Dangerous are the damn Japanese drivers, people walking down the street staring at their keitais, high school kids and the like on bikes doing emails on their phones. Against the law? I have to find that out... But, the cop couldnt even tell me what law or where to look. I asked him several times to be specific, and not just say 違反 and 危ない. He never gave me any info about the laws so I questioned that if he doesnt know the laws then he cant give me a fine or arrest me for boarding... Was getting somewhat irritated at that point.

Arguing logically with a Japanese is like a one legged bear - your just going to go around and around in circles. Eventually, the cop gets pissed off and yells DAME! and takes off.

He must have been pissed and radioed his mates to be out on the look out for a gaijin on rollerblades cuz not 5 mins later a cop car with lights and sirens on comes pulling up.

I must have sure made a group of high school boys day because they couldnt help from laughing hysterically at me - a gaijin getting busted by the cops.

Cop #2 says the same thing and I end up skating away after about 5 minutes not even bothering to put up with his $hi#.

Have any other longboarders/skateboarders/ rollerbladers been busted in Japan? I didnt get a ticket or even a caution but I wanna know what the laws are. Seems to me the cops are just like back home - they just dont like skaters, period. Pricks.

I don't know what the law is either. I've been stopped several times for *shock* riding my bike on the road.

It's always the same story - don't do it, it's not allowed, but we can't be specific. I've always said "Hai hai" and just pedalled off down the road in plain view, without any consequences. Arguing is just a waste of time.

There are a few Japanese skateboard websites that recommend good skate places around train stations. Train stations usually have their own polibox. I assume that the police have seen people skating near the station and can't do anything about it.

Same problem last year mate. From what I was told they are considered a toy so your not allowed to use them, but you can near your house or at a specific location.

Its all horse shit really there is no real law banning them but there is nothing to say that you can do it.

The cops near my house know me so they dont say much but other cops who dont know me might.

Just tell them that the 2 best rollerbladers in the world come from Kobe, and they have been rolling for 8 years now so it aint that dangerous.

Fattwins,

Those brothers are awesome arent they?! You see them kick ass at the Xgames? Id like to see where they skate - I know there are a few good steet parks in Kansai for skaters/bladers.

Bout to do a google on the laws and see what I come up with.

I doubt if you will find anything on the books. My buddy asked his policeman friend last year and he said its a toy so dont get caught but if you do they cant do much. Just dont be drunk and follow bike rules.

I haven't been out rollarblading for about 2 years. I think the police may be talking shit and just bending some inspecific law to suit their purpose. So what is their purpose? Their purpose is to spoil your fun by stopping you from doing something they have no idea about.

I once went to Banpaaku in Nth Osaka ,which would be perfect for blading, and guess what...Dame! Abunai! A pair of crossed arms from the oyaji guardman mad.gif .

At the time one of my students was a cop and he just said it was typical Japanese conservativism. He was pro-skaters and only had a problem with the local crew if they were sniffing glue down the train station at midnight. According to him other collegues had an irrational dislike for what they fail to perceive is a sport i.e good clean fun for the yoof.

Anyway the best spot I found was along Yodogawa-Juso side which has kms of new ahsphelt. Start at Juso and head North. Mukugawa-Nishinomiya side is also pretty good I think.

Im sure youll find a big park in kobe cause that is where those boys are based out of.

Police everywhere have too many power trips. I think you have to crave some power to be a policeman.

Like it was said before other things need to be taken care of first. idiots on the road tailgaters, red light runners, theft, drunk driving, litering now that is my true beef.....onandonandon

Davo,

Yeah, Im close by in Ashiya and weve got some pretty sweet places around here. Ive been to Mukogawa also. Some parts are good others are rough but along the river is just a fun place with lots of scenery.

If you got your blades we should head out somewhere...

Sounds good although I'm sure I'm a little more than rusty. I was pretty crap to begin with in the first place. The blades I got are a little too big for me I think.

Rollerblading is bloody enjoyable. I did it for a year until my boots got stolen. It is a very accessible and smooth way to cruise around flat land.

I was in a city recently that seems to live on blades. Seriously it was like a plague of people that roll rather than walk. Some of them are very good as well.

I did not see one person on wheels my whole time in Tokyo.

• 10 months later...

Went for a skate last night in a subdivision thats being built near the ocean. really nice and smooth roads.

There were about half dozen J-blokes on those funny looking cruising long boards. Had a chat with them some and even got a free beer.

Nice weather we have now for being outdoors!

Maoriboy and I bought a couple of longboards not so long ago. Haven`t been out on them too much but are great fun (despite the injuries; ask Maoriboy!) but haven`t run into any trouble yet. Maybe we could form the new kind of Bososoku on boards!!!! :p

Where did you get your longboards?

I had a look at the ones at Alpen and Himaraya but they were crap. I took one down, stood on it, and it went CRACK!! so I quickly got off it and put it back again.

There is a Hot Shop in Gifu somewhere (the Hot Shop in vancouver being to homebase of Skull Skates). If you want a longboard, check out the Skull Skates website (they have a ton of decks, mostly old school and longboards) and will have a link to the Japanese store.

tonnes of people rollerblading to work/around the city in toronto.

i want to get a skateboard or something to get me to and from work. i work at a skate store so im going to pick something up but havent quite decided what i want. i dont want to do tricks or anything, just purely cruise around.