Sapporo Snow Festival close to any good resorts

Hey I wanted to check out the Sapporo snow festival this year. Since it's kind of an expensive ticket, I would like to get as much out of it as possible. Has anyone been to the festival? Which are the best days to go? Are there any good resorts close by? Thanks for the help.

I've been twice to the snow festival. It is pretty cool (& pretty cold -14d cel). The best days are week days but it does get busy. I also recommend checking out the Sapporo Beer Factory, take the tour and you get 40min nomihodi. I am sure it was free!! Try the Genghis Khan mmmmm! The nearest resort I think is Sapporo Kokusai Ski Area about an hour out of town. I haven't been there but it is usually one of the last places to close every year.

highly recommended, been to the snow fest twice. warm amazake helps U warm up. the most interesting times are at the before and after the fest when the Jei-tai (Japanese SDF) show up in Odori-Park. picture a bunch of army guys in camouflage sculpting out a 20-meter Mickey Mouse or Hideki Matsui, hilarious!

Teine Highlands is prolly one of the best closest resorts, just a quick train and then bus ride away from JR Sapporo St.

Sapporo Int'l (Kokusai), Teine Highland, Kiroro, even Rusutsu. They all have day-trip buses departing in front of Sapporo Station. If you just wanna hang with the boys, do some jib and catch some air then go to Makomanai (kinda hard to roll off your tongue).

I've done Teine Highland. It's very close Sapporo, so it will be a short bus trip...maybe an hour at most. It's quite a small course but I remember they had an incredible black mogul run right between the trees which I was stupid enough to try. とても 難しくて 危ない!

Oh man Markie, you were one of those unfortunately souls who were tricked into goinig down The Wall of Destruction (as my friends and I call it). That is NOT a trail for normal boarding consumption, I swear! I've seen too many people literally roll down that wall while taking the quad. Even my crazy one-footed skier buddy told me it was "not so pleasant."

So to all you first time Teine Highland goers, get that "I can do this" mentality outta your head and stay clear of the very right side!

"Wall of Destruction" eh? Well named! I am just surprised there are still so many trees left in that course. I must have knocked down at least half of them on my "one and only" attempt. If I had gone down a few more times I would probably have cleared the course of those damn trees!

I think I would rather call that course the "Bowling Pin Alley".

Nevertheless, it was fun....a good lesson in how to get back up and put on your skis after knocking into a tree.

I actually have a video of myself stumbling down that course. It was taken my my J-friend who was with me. That guy was incredile. He took it with two ski poles in one hand and a handycam in the other while skiing down the same course as if it was a walk in the park!

Unfortunately, it is on VHS tape and I have no idea of how to convert it and upload here for your viewing pleasure, Fatts.

if you have a camcorder back track it then use firewire to upload it into your windows movie maker. if you dont have movie maker you can download it free. to upload is simple press capture in the program then press play to capture it. if you can get that sorted I will give you an ftp site where you can upload it.

PS I will start my hols from the 24th of dec so if you need me we can work something out.

Fattwins, in case you haven't noticed, I am not too well endowed in the Brains department, especially when it comes to tech matters. I don't even have a camcorder! My J-pal recorded it on his, and coverted it to a VHS tape and gave it to me. That's all I have now.

As for the Christmas party, you have my itinerary and I will definitely be needing a Ski Instructor for my friends so it can either be you or else it will be whoever is available.

Everyone's fully paid up and we are NOT going to cancel out unless it is really unavoidable. So let's work something out.