Niigata disappears under water

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you.

Yes, we have a "Super Keihou" going on.

Luckily for me, I am on a bit of a hill and avoiding the worst of it, but I don't think I'll be venturing out to town tonight!

Pretty wild. Gosh, just looking at some of the new pics on the telly - those places are a couple of km from me!! Looks like tops of houses in the sea!

Yeah, I bet you're feeling a bit melancholy to be in a country without a full complement of seasons.

Japan's fifth season was just declared to be at an end today. Sorry if hearing that puts you in the dumps for a while.

Actually, we're in the "grotesque images of athlete's foot at dinnertime" season. As I don't wear socks and nice shiny black shoes throughout the summer, I don't feel I have to look at those as I chew on my sashimi.

That was pretty crazy. I loved watching the men tie a string around their waste and start to walk into the deeper water. Crazy bastards.

What was really cool about the flood though was that it beat out Soga san for first story on the news clap.gif clap.gif

You're being a bit heartless there Toque. You might like to try experiencing one of these disasters for yourself. Kidnapping and forced separation from your family? Snigger. Trying to find your valuables under 4 ft of raging water? Lol. Good friends aged prematurely by their misfortune? Haha.

Yeah absolutely bloodyhilarious it is, hey, Toque.

Peoples houses wrecked. Businesses in ruins. etc etc

What a jolly fun time we're all having!

wakaranai.gif

Alright yes I was a bit harsh there. The flood was crazy like said.

Natures Fury is a thing to behold. Both horrible and beautiful at the same time.

The cool part was sarcastically directed at the Japanese media's infatuation with every Miss Soga does and I was surprised that this flood beat it out for first story.

A bit harsh but I some pretty stupid people last night doing the wrong thhings too. best to get out early or at least go in a bit of a group with a safety rope hell any rope that you can throw. you cannot pull yourself up tied to a line.

:rolleyes:

Perhaps everyone in the area should be made to prove that they have passed some survival/flood courses before being able to settle down and live in the area.

That way, everyone will be sure to have the techniques and knowledge to survive in the event of such a disaster.

Sheesh.

In accidents like this we need to focus on everything. What went wrong and what went right. Number 1 not that many people were killed so that says alot went right or alot got lucky.

I do know that in times of need you should think about safty first. people carrying kasas in a flood are just asking to fall down. People trying to cross a downstream hole eddy with a bike in tow is again not smart. carrying obachan on your back accross the flowing current with trees and fridges passing by and no rope that some one can pull you in with again not smart.

Im not beening harsh but I will say the news did show alot of flooding donts yesterday.

But snajo when I did hear about this last nite I remembered that you lived in Sanjo. I was hoping that you didnt get caught in the worst of it.

Toque, you are a prick. ;\) . I too was a bit insensitive.

It would be terrible to be in this situation, or to see your friends suffer the losses.

This does not excuse Toques SHOCKING behaviour, but we need to remember that as sad as this is, it is a very common event the world over and not just limited to floods. We are but pissants in nature and when it rains we can drown and be washed away in a second. It is a fact of life and nothing can be done about it.

I lived in a coastal National Park for 18 months in Oz. One christmas we were forced out by a massive raging fire. This caused loss of property and life over a 1 week period and it did not come under control until nature turned in our favour. Two weeks later it was raining so hard that the all the roads into my town were flooded and yet again, I was sleeping in a motel. Fire to flood in 2 weeks. Who are we to influence this?

(I have seen houses that would survive a flood be all but obliterated by a 10 minute hail storm with ice the size of golf balls. That was intense)

It sounds like a lot of the people affected were elderly, so it must have been terrible for them.

One issue here that is possibly special to Japan is the effect, if any, of all the damming and channeling of rivers on this catastrophe. Obviously a tremendous amount of rain fell, but it would be interesting to know whether the man-made defences mitigated or otherwise affected the flood.

Reinforced riverbanks and dams are certainly ugly and environmentally destructive, so it would be nice to know that they serve a purpose beyond temporary job creation.