• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say - sometimes Japanese attitudes seem very odd and unfounded to me. But then I guess Japan and Japan society seem to be very much about image and 'face'. I guess Yuzawa has 'lost face'. I didn't know that an area could lose face. I thought only humans were able to lose face. I'm sure Yuzawa- the land - couldn't give a shit about losing face. It's the people living there that suffer.

Yuzawa isn't really feeling any of the aftershocks over the last few days. There are still some 20 or so a day - mostly 1s and 2s - but they can't really be felt here. Fingers crossed.

This page updates with a general report every 3 hours:

http://www.jma.go.jp/JMA_HP/jp/quake/

They are still saying that theres a chance of a mag 5 within the next few weeks, hopefully they're just being cautious.

Quote:
Originally posted by taguchi:
I have a colleague who has mansion in yuzawa. He is thinking of selling now, crazy as that might be.
Probably good to be a buyer now, but selling??? now? Can't imagine there would be too much demand at the moment.

10月23日17時から11月1日24時まで

-------------------------------------------------------------------

震度 7:6強:6弱:5強:5弱:震度4:震度3:震度2:震ॷ 0;1: 計

回数 1: 2: 2: 6: 4:31: 80:177:316:619

eek.gif eek.gif

(shindo rating) (6強 this means strong 6 and the next 6 means weak)

震度 7:6強:6弱:5強:5弱:震度4:震度3:震度2:震ॷ ; 0;1: 計

回数 1: 2: 2: 6: 4:31: 80:177:316:619

( above is how many times each quake of the above rating has occured since 10/23 till today)

as i understand it anyway..

They just did a piece on tourism in Niigata on NHK just now... the hotels in Nagaoka and ground zero were of course a complete mess. Then they went to Yuzawa and spoke to some hotels there. Even though there was no damage there, the few people they spoke to said they have 90% cancellations right now (for around now) and worried about how this might affect the winter season.

On a brighter note, seems like there are much fewer aftershocks now, right?

80%+ cancellations, they must really be hurting.

\:\(

I saw a docu where they went to an onsen hotel in Nagaoka and filmed the manager telling all the staff that they had all just lost their jobs... the hotel is in such a mess he's decided to call it a day.

Yes they are doing their best to persuade people not to cancel for winter. This current koyo season is already dead though - hotels on average having 90% cancellations. Quite a lot of cancellations for winter as well. If these aftershocks don't stop soon (please!!!), things will sadly become even grimmer.

Some more Japanese on the subject

新潟県中越地震は、観光にも壊滅的な打撃を与え 390;いる。県旅館組合によると、地震後1週間で16 万7000人が宿泊をキャンセルし、損害は少な 367;とも20億円以上と見込まれている。

佐渡市は9日から、首都圏などで異例の観光キ 515;ンペーンに乗り出した。市職員ら計13人が、旅 行会社などを回って“佐渡観光セールス”を展開する 12290;佐渡観光旅館連盟などによると、地震後1週間ӗ 8;キャンセルは2万2300人。11月分も既に前 24180;比6割減で、危機感を募らせている。

年間650万人が訪れる湯沢町では、年内の宿 850;キャンセルが5万人を超え、「被害額は10億円 以上」(町産業観光課)という。湯沢グランドホ 486;ルの女将村山桂子さんは「何ひとつ壊れたものは ないので足を運んで」と訴える。

1日からの弥彦神社「菊まつり」でにぎわうは 378;だった弥彦村も、宿泊客は前年に比べ半減。建物 被害の出た小千谷市のホテル・旅館は、14軒す 409;てで営業の見通しが立っていない。

100年以上の歴史を持つ十日町市の原田屋旅' 208;は倒壊の危険があり、取り壊しを決めた。「つら くて涙も出なかった」と女将の春日花子さん(7A 305;)。10月30日で廃業した成願寺温泉「養寿館 」(長岡市)十三代目の高野興一社長(77)は 300;せつないねえ」と名残を惜しむ。

県の10月末の調査によると、地震被害のない 979;越地区の瀬波温泉(村上市)などでも軒並み7―& #65304;割のキャンセルが出ており、風評被害防止に躍Ū 15;だ。

I've called a few up and they haven't changed their prices. The only bonus being that usually full times (new year etc) you can now get places if you want.