The Ultimate FOOTBALL Thread (04/05)

Rooney's starting to really come on at club level too now. His approach play is great and that volley the other day was class.

Bit of a sneaky one is Bergkamp. Class player though, and far more up for it than another Dutch striker I could mention.

If Gerrard goes to Chelsea, it's hard to see anyone else getting a look in, even if SWP goes to the Arse.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rooney is getting better, just a pity he seems such an utter thug. Suppose it don't matter on the pitch.

I presume you're talking about YOUR Dutch striker, Mr Wiggles, not Ruud, right?

You may already know, but I just found this rach. United coming to Japan at the end of July:

Thu 28 July : Opponents TBC, Tokyo, Japan

Sat 30 July : Opponents TBC, Tokyo, Japan

Thanks scouser, I didn't actually know that I thought it was just Hong Kong. I'd love to go, but think the chances of me being in England at that time are near 100%. \:\( Rather go to Old Trafford anyways.

Good to see Chelsea drop a few points. \:\)

Yappari, totally shite crap game of footie (the Japan game)...even the Crystal Palace reserves'd beat either of them teams. ;\) I'm so bored I'm trying to find other things to do.

Found this good article on the Guardian site, worth a read:

What on earth has happened to football?

Appalling discipline, overpaid players and contempt for its traditions are ruining the national game

Charlie Burgess

Wednesday February 9, 2005

The Guardian

Like it or loathe it - and a lot of people do - you can't ignore it. Whether it is the love life of the England manager, the tangled life of the England captain, or a proposed change of ownership of the biggest club in the land, football is a part of our lives. And that's before we worry about who passed to whom. This is the same game played on the hallowed turf of Old Trafford and Highbury as well as Hackney Marshes on a Sunday morning. A game where the top practitioners are paid millions a year and the bottom, obviously, nothing. Where it is seen as one of the prime drivers of a move to pay-TV while still retaining the ideal of being the game of the people.

article here:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1408936,00.html

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
...even the Crystal Palace reserves'd beat either of them teams.

What on earth has happened to football?

Appalling discipline, overpaid players and contempt for its traditions are ruining the national game
The Palace doesnt ruin football. We are an honest hard working team. No glam, no sham. And yes, our reserves could beat what ever team it is you are talking about.

More evidence against Sven

“For a friendly, it was a good game. I am happy with the system. We played rather well.”

How that man keeps his job is beyond me.

wakaranai.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
More evidence against Sven
Hey, watch it!

:p

And I have no intention of reading any of the last 600 pages to this thread, so here's my abbreviated contribution:

ManU = yeah
Arsenal = boo
Paul Scholes = yeah
C. Ronaldo = exciting
D. Bergkamp = only arsenal player I like
Soccer players = generally better looking than rugby players
Me = soccer player ;\)
lol.gif

Not sure what all that means there Sven, but welcome anyway.

It's going to be interesting to see how Chelsea get on without their new magician. Let's hope a defeat to Everton.

:rolleyes:

Can't believe it. I am hoping for an Everton win! eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif Don't tell anyone shifty.gif

I'm with ya scouser on the anti arsenal sentiment... I'm not the biggest Liverpool fan either, but I don't mind 'em... at least they've got an aussie in Kewell on the team.

As for this weekends matches, you got the everton loss, but you guys really shouldn't be losing to B'ham \:\(

Anyhoo... the real red team is playing their derby tonight (tokyo time)... hopefully I'll see it live.

I watched that game last night. City are looking to be becoming one of those really stubborn 'difficult to beat but not really that good' teams that infuriate other teams (and people watching!)

As for the Real Reds. Well, as lifelong fans, we do suffer.

(or to put it more eloquently, ....WFT mad.gif )

Enjoyed the game last night and was drifting off just after (very tired) then shook up and really woken up by an earthquake here in Kobe. shifty.gif \:\(

And a fun fact from the Arsenal game:

"Monday's 5-1 Premiership win over Crystal Palace marked the first time ever an English club squad was completely foreign."

shifty.gif

It's a bit of a joke isn't it.

As is Liverpool at the moment. What is going on. I hope it's just The Sun making (internal) things sound worse than they are. I wonder what Gerrard is thinking now. \:\(