The Ultimate FOOTBALL Thread (04/05)

I can't decide whether to go with the Arsenal or Chelsea game in 5 minutes before the United game. I think I'll go with Arsenal as they are our closest competitors.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see Liverpool but the Guardian are calling it "insipid". \:\(

As for United, they were really poor yesterday rach. Wassup with vanNistelrooy - he is looking so poor since coming back, and almost getting worse as the games go on!

scouser, the Juve game just before it. That rendition of "You'll..." was quite touching, got to admit. Pity those few thug Juve fans who turned their backs.

United were shite on Saturday, I don't know what the fecks going on. Not happy about that mad.gif

Pretty 感動的, hey?

Worrying news here:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1456305,00.html

Fears that Wednesday's Champions League quarter-final between Juventus and Liverpool in Turin will be overshadowed by off-the-pitch trouble are growing. Despite the efforts of Liverpool to promote conciliation between the two clubs, the antagonism felt by sections of the Juventus support was clear when they turned their backs on the commemorations before Tuesday's match at Anfield. Earlier in the day, Merseyside Police confiscated T-shirts with inflammatory slogans from arriving Italians, although they did later return them.

Welcome to the footie thread SaintSki. Pity about your allegiances.

Are you a fan of the new Chelsea then? I have some friends who used to be Chelsea fans but are a bit disillusioned with it all at the moment. Funny that, now they are successful...

I see they won last night.

What Yoo think giggsy, rach??

Time For Fergie To Go?

I've supported ManYoo all my life and I must say of late, I really do believe Fergie should go or at least move upstairs. He's been a great manager, the best in fact, but his decisions over the last season or two with signings and team selections have cost us dearly.

As soon as I heard the team on Saturday and bearing in mind relegation candidates fight for their lives, I didn't fancy that a win was by any means certain. A few weeks ago when we went to Palace I heard the team at 2.45pm, no Scholes, Rooney or Ronaldo - our most creative and penetrative players. I texted a friend and told him to forget a victory - I was right.

Against Fenerbache in the Champions League he played a second string, we got beat and got Milan in the draw, Lyon topped the group and got Werder Bremen. Too many times in the last two-three seasons Fergie has rested key players and it's backfired.

Games like at home to Everton, Man City, Blackburn, have all ended in draws that should have been victories. Last season we played Boro on a Tuesday night at OT, he rested Keane and Scholes, Boro went 2-0 up, he brought them on in the second half and we got it back to 2-2, but Boro went on to win 3-2. He clearly has not learnt the lesson.

Now the seeds of woe are already being sown for next season. Why did he rest the players he did on Saturday? Now we are favourites for third place and could get someone like Real or worse in the Champions League qualifiers next season.

I admit that certain players have under-performed this season but it's up to Fergie to change that by selling the tubes and buying decent replacements and not the Klebersons, Djembas and Howards of this world.

Fergie's a legend but I'm afraid he's past his sell-by date. It's like being back in the '80's - the only thing we can hope for is the FA cup. Holy Christ...

Seamus Mullan, Belfast

...As much as Alex Ferguson has done for ManYoo in the last 19 years there comes a time when you have to say that his time is up at the club. Some of the recent signings and some of his in-game decisions have left me baffled - last weekend for instance.

If he wants second place so much then why does he leave Ruud, Rooney and Keano out of the first XI? Then there was the mess that was the Champions League this season, bringing kids to Turkey for an important match and then losing to a team we had beaten by four goals at Old Trafford...and as for the way Alan Smith has been treated this season - it's unreal. The man is a talent and gets stuck in but Ferguson always chooses to bring on some idiot like Quinton Fortune or Phil Neville instead. Why?

Some, sorry, most of his recent signings have come back and bitten him on the arse at some stage - Eric Dumbo-Dumbo, Kleberson (that man is NOT a footballer), Liam Miller, Louis Saha, Silvestre, Fortune and Ronaldo (yes him, falls over, can’t cross a ball, cries, one-trick pony) should be surplus to requirements asap. Then Fergie should follow...

It happened to Busby, it happened to Clough, it happened to Bobby Robson, it happens to all great managers...it's called burnout. ManYoo need a breath of fresh from next season onwards if they are to keep in touch with Chelski and the Arsenal. If not then we can fade into the background with Liverpool, Newcastle and Everton for the foreseeable future.

Harsh, but that’s life Alex...

Matty Lysaght, ManYoo fan, Dublin

Look Closer To Home Fergie

Fergie really has got a problem hasn't he? He blames all the woes of both his and English football at the door of Arsenal/Arsene Wenger! He should concentrate on getting his once-dominant, all-conquering team back to where he thinks they belong, rather than probably ending up as the THIRD best team in England for the second year running.

Has anyone thought he may be preparing the people of Surrey for an FA Cup semi-final defeat as his team of also-rans are performing so below-par - but hey, that is probably the Gunners' fault as well!

Dave Hamilton

PS. I believe the semis shouldn't be played at Cardiff either but that is another matter!

...This time Fergie is blaming Arsenal for preferring to play in Cardiff...! Whatever next time? If I was a ManYoo fan or even more so a shareholder, then I might prefer him to start putting the blame on HIMself, just for once!

It's been a dreadful season, and unless quite a few changes were made very soon, I fear the worst for the club. Surely it is high time that Fergie is to spend more time with his family? To be replaced by someone who knows all about the 2OO5 game, not that of even just five or ten years ago?

Half the current players are well over their sell-by dates. Three or four excellent strikers lining up together is a mistake even in the eyes of my eight-year-old child! The ball has to come from somewhere in order to make the best of 1OO% strikers. It is TEAM work these days, Fergie.

To have several big-headed players all waiting for the right ball to turn up is madness, in total contrast to Total Football. So, perhaps the time has come for Fergie to stop blaming anybody else rather than himself?

Paul Vonk

...What a coincidence. Just two days after Man Utd's most embarrassing defeat in a long time, Alex Ferguson deflects attention from his shortcomings and reaches out to the fans on two fronts. Not only does his rant about Cardiff semi-finals include a spot of feel-your-pain empathy for the United hordes, but also a reminder of his one (and possibly only) success this season - baiting Arsenal.

Stephen Yates

...On the subject of the FA Cup semi-finals location, Fergie tells Manchester United Radio: "Apparently it was Arsenal who forced this through. I think they wanted it at Cardiff last season instead of Villa Park."

Hence more unsubstantiated accusations from the increasingly sad and desperate old man. What next Fergie, I suppose the Arsenal are to blame for conflict in the Middle East? Look, there’s a clue in their name.

Well, at least he’s speaking to the media again. Any comment on United’s last two games?

Julian Harris, London

...Why does Taggart continue blowing off his big trap? Can he not motivate his team without mentioning Arsenal or Arsene Wenger time after time? He must be getting quite embarrassing for United supporters with his childish rants. For God's sake Fergie, grow up!

Mani Jabble, Slough

Bring it on!

Everyone seems to be raving about Liverpool, should be a great couple of games. Especially considering the amount of goals we`ve started scoring and letting in. Don`t think either ones going to be 0-0.

First leg is Wednesday 27th April at 20.45, which makes it a very friendly 4.45 over here. Just like Euro 04 again clap.gif

yes Hyypia was a MONSTER last night! A GLADIATOR!!! He was my man of the match, always there rock solid, captain fantastic!

I'm worried that we wont be able to outscore Chelsea, however the previous games were very close so you never know, we can't get to the final, can we? surely not... \:D

Ha, me too!

What about Sundays game Mr Wiggles?

I hear you had a bit of a mare last night.

How does 3-1 to United sound. (The M one)

\:\)

Newcastle were outplayed by a neat footballing side, but didn't look as bad as the scoreline suggests. The game turned when Dyer did his hamstring and on rumbled Patrick Kluivert, looking a good two stone overweight. It's one thing to be not match fit; another altogether to resemble some of Newcastle's better known fans. You know, the ones with NUFC tattooed on their gut.

We picked up another couple of injuries to add to the suspensions we've got for infighting and players otherwise sidelined for unwise words about our manager. ManYoo won't break a sweat. I can't see Newcastle scoring.

BUT I SUPPORT THEM ALL THE SAME

HOWAY THE TOON!

You have to feel for Souness, he's in a madhouse there. I hope he kicks half the players out in the summer. Although with Shearer coming in as player-coach, you have to wonder how much influence Souness will have on long term signing decisions.

Well I'm glad that semi is over and donr with, and good to see Ruud back in the goals.

That final has the potential to be one explosive match. Can you imagine the media in the lead up to that. (When is it?)

Definitely good to see hey rach. clap.gif Lets hope it can keep it up now and get back into the habit. He looked really terrible only last week.

The hype is already starting:

"Meanwhile, his Gunners team-mate Freddie Ljungberg admits it will be hard for Arsenal to keep their cool against Manchester United when the bitter rivals meet in the FA Cup final. (The Sun)"

Hey giggsy,this might deflate you mate. The "serious talk" part tho don't sound like ole' Rio. ;\)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm_...-name_page.html

CAUGHT! RIO AND CHELSEA MEET AGAIN

Apr 18 2005

Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand and Chelsea chief Peter Kenyon are seen in a London restaurant together for a second time. On the same night they had an earlier "brief hello" that led to tap-up claims.

By Graham Brough

RIO Ferdinand and Chelsea chief Peter Kenyon - involved in tapping-up claims after an "accidental" meeting in a restaurant - spent up to three hours together that night.

It included a long get- together at a SECOND restaurant, after what was claimed to be a brief meeting at another eaterie.

At the second venue, the pair - in a party of five - changed places at one point to sit next to each other and have a serious talk.

I can't see him going myself.

He really does owe United for sticking up for him and actually paying his extremely outrageously outrageous wages when he was banned. In his situation if he is playing mazui hardball haggling for a rise or a move somewhere, they should feel pretty agrieved and put him on the bench to rot for 2 years.

I hope he signs but I hope he does it real quick. He does owe United. Amazing if he is holding out for a big wage rise after what just happened.

I just found this on the Guardian gossip page, made me laugh. I think Butt did actually forget who he was playing for! lol.gif

"The summer will also see an exodus of biblical proportions at Newcastle, because Graeme Souness fancies bringing in six new faces [and probably quite fancies permanently mangling a similar number of old ones]. Nicky Butt will be first out the door after forgetting which side he was playing for during Sunday's FA Cup final, with old mucker Steve Bruce likely to help him out with a bunk aboard the good ship Brum."