The Ultimate FOOTBALL Thread (04/05)

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard any of them before, quite good actually lol.gif

On Jose Mourinho: "Tell you what, if he was a lollipop he'd be sucking himself."

"I don’t think Lee Bowyer is racist at all, I think he would stamp on anybody’s head."

"Anywhere in the world if you walk down the street and spit in someone's face you get your head cut off."

"I'm not going to pick out anyone in particular, but Jay Jay Okocha should not be the captain of a football club."

eek.gif lol.gif

And here's some more:

-----------------------------------

"What will you do when you leave football, Jack - will you stay in football?"

(STUART HALL, Radio 5 Live)

"Unfortunately, we keep kicking ourselves in the foot."

(RAY WILKINS, speaking on BBC1)

"I've got a gut feeling in my stomach. . ."

(ALAN SUGAR, speaking on BBC1)

"The new West Stand casts a giant shadow over the entire pitch, even on a sunny day."

(CHRIS JONES, Evening Standard)

"I would not say he [David Ginola] is the best left winger in the Premiership, but there are none better."

(RON AKTINSON in a TV interview)

"Johnson has revelled in the 'hole' behind Dwight Yorke. . ."

(Carling FA Premiership WWW Page)

"An inch or two either side of the post and that would have been a goal."

(DAVE BASSETT, speaking on Sky Sports)

"Both sides have scored a couple of goals, and both sides have conceded a couple of goals."

(PETER WITHE, speaking on Radio 5 Live)

"What's it like being in Bethlehem, the place where Christmas began? I suppose it's like seeing Ian Wright at Arsenal...."

(BRUCE RIOCH, ITV)

"And I suppose they [spurs] are nearer to being out of the FA Cup now than at any other time since the first half of this season, when they weren't ever in it anyway."

(JOHN MOTSON, BBC)

"I never make predictions, and I never will."

(PAUL GASCOIGNE)

"And there's Ray Clemence looking as cool as ever out in the cold."

(JIMMY HILL)

"....and the news from Guadalajara where the temperature is 96 degrees, is that Falcao is warming up."

(BRIAN MOORE)

"If history is going to repeat itself I should think we can expect the same thing again."

(TERRY VENABLES)

"The Uruguayans are losing no time in making a meal around the referee."

(MIKE INGHAM)

"I think that was a moment of cool panic there."

(RON ATKINSON)

"Beckenbauer really has gambled all his eggs."

(RON ATKINSON)

"Celtic manager Davie Hay still has a fresh pair of legs up his sleeve."

(JOHN GREIG)

"It's headed away by John Clark, using his head."

(DEREK RAE)

"Tottenham are trying tonight to become the first London team to win this Cup. The last team to do so was the 1973 Spurs side."

(MIKE INGHAM)

"He's very fast and if he gets a yard ahead of himself nobody will catch him."

(BOBBY ROBSON)

"The game is balanced in Arsenal's favour."

(JOHN MOTSON)

"Merseyside derbies usually last 90 minutes and I'm sure today's won't be any different."

(TREVOR BROOKING)

"You have got to miss them to score sometimes."

(DAVE BASSETT)

"Dumbarton player Steve McCahill has limped off with a badly cut forehead."

(TOM FERRIE)

"A contract on a piece of paper, saying you want to leave, is like a piece of paper saying you want to leave."

(JOHN HOLLINS)

"And I honestly believe we can go all the way to Wembley. . . unless somebody knocks us out."

(DAVE BASSETT)

"It was that game that put the Everton ship back on the road."

(ALAN GREEN)

"Bobby Robson must be thinking of throwing some fresh legs on."

(KEVIN KEEGAN)

"What makes this game so delightful is that when both teams get the ball they are attacking their opponents goal."

(JIMMY HILL)

"Celtic were at one time nine points ahead, but somewhere along the road, their ship went off the rails."

(RICHARD PARK)

"That's football, Mike, Northern Ireland have had several chances and haven't scored but England have had no chances and scored twice."

(TREVOR BROOKING)

"...and so they have not been able to improve their 100% record."

(SPORTS ROUNDUP)

"In terms of the Richter Scale this defeat was a force eight gale."

(JOHN LYALL)

"In comparison, there's no comparison."

(RON GREENWOOD)

"I would also think that the action replay showed it to be worse than it actually was."

(RON ATKINSON)

"Mirandinha will have more shots this afternoon than both sides put together."

(MALCOLM McDONALD)

"Newcastle, of course, unbeaten in their last five wins."

(BRIAN MOORE)

"Football's not like an electric light. You can't just flick the switch and change from quick to slow."

(JOHN GREIG)

"Certain people are for me and certain people are pro me."

(TERRY VENABLES)

"I'm going to make a prediction - it could go either way."

(RON ATKINSON)

"And with 4 minutes gone, the score is already 0-0."

(IAN DARK)

"Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer."

(DAVID ACFIELD)

"What I said to them at half time would be unprintable on the radio"

(GERRY FRANCIS)

"If we played like this every week, we wouldn't be so inconsistant"

(BRYAN ROBSON)

"If there weren't such a thing as football, we'd all be frustrated footballers."

(MICK LYONS)

"He's one of those footballers whose brains are in his head."

(DEREK JOHNSTONE)

"The crowd think that Todd handled the ball.... they must have seen something that nobody else did."

(BARRY DAVIES)

"I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel"

(STUART PEARCE)

"They compare Steve McManaman to Steve Highway and he's nothing like him, but I can see why - it's because he's a bit different."

(KEVIN KEEGAN)

"Glen Hoddle hasn't been the Hoddle we know. Neither has Bryan Robson."

(RON GREENWOOD)

"There's no way Ryan Giggs is another George Best. He's another Ryan Giggs."

(DENIS LAW)

"The only thing I have in common with George Best is that we come from the same place, play for the same club and were discovered by the same man."

(NORMAN WHITESIDE)

"I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat."

(RON ATKINSON)

"I don't think there is anybody bigger or smaller than Maradona."

(KEVIN KEEGAN)

"The minute's silence was immaculate, I have never heard a minute's silence like that."

(GLENN HODDLE)

Jimmy Hill: "Don't sit on the fence Terry, what chance do you think Germany has got of getting through?"

Terry Venables: "I think it's fifty - fifty."

Bolton v Derby or Fulham

West Brom or Tottenham v Nottm Forest

Everton v Man Utd

Charlton v Leicester

Burnley v Blackburn

Southampton v Brentford or Hartlepool

Newcastle v Chelsea

Arsenal v West Ham or Sheff Utd

Ties to be played weekend of 19th & 20th February

So. ArseNal vs Man Utd tonight.

I'll be getting up real early to watch this one.

A repeat 0-2 two goal win would do just fine.

No fighting please boys.

Latest news!!!!!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Arsenal and Manchester United players will have to make do without pizza after their match at Highbury. The players will have the choice of prawn, egg, cheese and ham sandwiches. (The Sun)

VERY glad we got rid of Djemba Djemba. He was pretty much useless, just not up to the standard.

Me too, of course.

hahahahahaha. sweet. Just a bit tired now, but I can cope with that. We stopped their winning run, we beat them at Highbury and stopped their home run, it feels good. \:D \:D \:D

The tension between those 2 teams though really is silly isn't it. You almost think something will happen every tackle!

Bobby...I thought the ref did very well, the match was almost impossible to referee at times!

My money was on Utd, won a couple of bucks down the bookies, their form is awesome. Still in Champions League and FA Cup, and on that form....almost unbeatable.

I know this is a football thread, but Wales vs England in the 6 Nations rugby this Saturday.....are all you Red Rose wearing fairies ready to get a hiding! ;\)

yes I think the ref did well actually. and mr matthews - you have more confidence than I do. I wouldn't say their form is "awesome". I hope you're right though!

the ref was on their side in that he gave out craploads of yellow cards to utd players for next to nothing - Hienze, Giggs and Rooney in particular I thought were harsh decisions.

Scouser - the Liverpool game wasn't on in England!

All the stuff in the tunnel before the game was great TV too - Keane giving Viera a verbal hiding. To be honest, I reckon Man Utd are just lieing about all the stuff that happens in the tunnels. none of the stuff they say happened has been caught on TV - all we have is the footage yesterday of Keane shouting and swearing at Viera, while Viera just ignored him and rose above it. Man Utd use mindgames, but it works very well for them as this match among others proves.

I thought they were harsh too some of those cards. And Diving Pirez should be red-carded almost every game the amount of outrageous diving he does. I really don't like him.

As for the tunnel thing. Did you see it all, bobby12? The bit we saw on TV was Kean hitting back at Viera who had apparently said something to Gazz Neville. So it wasn't Keane starting a fuss.

Viera is a thug but Gary Neville is whinging little bastard. Deserves a good slap. I hope he got one.

For an "Arsenal ref", that looked like a clear pen. Far more than Rooney's dive in the earlier fixture. That said, it looked like ManYoo shaded the game as a whole. They hustled the Arse into lots of mistakes.

All the lets surround the ref at every opportunity stuff is getting well tiresome.

One bookies has already started paying out on Chelsea as champions.

You're right I'm well tired of the surrounding the ref routine.. whoever is doing it. And blatant diving as well. Yellow cards at least, I say. That should make people think twice.

O'Shea looked bewildered when he scored that 4th one. lol.gif Great goal though.

United played the better on the whole. Funny how Arsenals season seems to have disintegrated since united won at OT. They just don't have the bottle, bunch of wussez.

rach I dislike Pirez too the cheeky bastard. Don't like Bergkamp either, but he comes up with some sublime control at times. Come to think of it, I really don't like Arsenal at all.

Rach - my point was that on tv we didnt see what happened with Viera, we just saw Keane having a go at him. So theres no evidence that Viera did anything wrong, as with the pizza-gate thing. I believe that its 90% made up by Man Utd - and I like it :-)

OK the ref missed that Arsenal penalty but he was blindsighted so he could hardly make the call. The linesman didnt call it either so I think thats why it wasnt given. But he gave loads of other decisions to Arsenal. He also didnt book A.Cole (I think it was) early in the game for a horrendous dive in the box.

I really like Rooney because of the fire in his belly. He needs to know when to stop, nearly got himself sent off for nothing (given offside and started moaning), but that passion is what England as a team needs. I really think England will the World Cup in Germany - Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard will all be in thier prime, and we have Ferdinand and John Terry on fire, with Campbell a worthy backup in case of injury or a 'put everyone behind the ball and hang-on, cos we are playing argentina' style tactic. Add a 'last-chance' and super experience skipper in Beckham to the mix and I think its a great prospect. Just need to find a keeper and get Owen playing more games.

No charges

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13294337,00.html

Pirez is just too fast, so defenders trip him up. That's all. shifty.gif

Dare I say it, Ronaldo doesn't seem to be diving as much as he used to - I think Keano and Fergie have been giving him a bit of a roasting for it. Great talent that guy.