The Ultimate FOOTBALL Thread (04/05)

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure could do without James in any team I suppose. In the opposition team, not a problem.

Keepers are a headache though aren't they. Look at the situation now, Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal all can't find a keeper and stick with him. wakaranai.gif

About goalies:

Dave Beasant will tell you that Chelsea's 10-point advantage at the top of the Premiership is no coincidence or happy accident.

Chelsea have found what the other contenders and pretenders have failed to unearth - an authoritative, commanding, reliable goalkeeper.

Fulham coach Beasant believes Petr Cech is exactly what Arsenal and Manchester United have not had since David Seaman and Peter Schmeichel hung up their gloves.

"A goalkeeper alone will not win you a championship. But he is the final piece of the jigsaw," Beasant told BBC Sport.

"I always remember Brian Clough admitting that Peter Shilton was the final missing piece in his great Nottingham Forest team of the 1980s.

"That's probably the best way of putting it. You will never win the Premiership with a bad goalkeeper, but a great goalkeeper can be the missing factor."

Cech's stats this season are impressive. He has conceded a miserly eight goals in his 23 Premiership matches, and has kept 17 clean sheets.

His back is in good shape as he has not had to bend and pick the ball out of the net in the last six Premiership matches.

Howard (left) was replaced as number one by Carroll

That he has kept in all Chelsea's Premiership games tells it own story. Contrast that with Jens Lehmann and Tim Howard, who started the season as first choice at Arsenal and Manchester United respectively.

In 15 Premiership games, Lehmann leaked 20 goals and kept only four clean sheets. Howard had just one shut-out in his five Premiership starts.

Their replacements have hinted at better things. Manuel Almunia has conceded five goals in eight games, keeping four clean sheets.

For all his well-publicised howlers, Roy Carroll has conceded just eight goals in 18 games, with 12 shut-outs in the process.

But as a fully paid-up member of the goalkeepers' union, Beasant knows the numbers game does not tell the whole story.

"People were criticising Lehmann last season, but he was first choice right through a league season where Arsenal were unbeaten.

Colleagues and rivals - Lehmann and Almunia

"I think the difference was that if he was making mistakes, they weren't really having any effect. People have been surprised this season that Arsene Wenger has allowed him just one mistake before dropping him.

"But any goalkeeper is only as good as the defence in front of him," argues Beasant.

"It's no coincidence that Chelsea have had a settled back four all season, built around somebody like John Terry who is a born leader.

"For various reasons such as injuries and form, Manchester United and Arsenal have been looking to find the sort of settled partnership that Chelsea have got, but they haven't been able to.

"For years, Peter Schmeichel and David Seaman were never overworked and went through long spells in games with little to do, thanks to the defences in front of them.

"But when they were required, they were invariably there to make the important save.

"And that for me is the sign of a great keeper who can help you win a title. He is always there when the defence slips up."

I think its just a concentration/confidence thing.

Concentration: a lot of keepers, esp. Dudek, are great but just lose concentration and let in a howler once in a while.

Confidence: James would be one of the best ever if it was only about shot stopping, but he sucks on crosses (and is a poser).

This is why Schemichal/Seaman were so good, cos they had these two attributes in spades. I dont agree with the above writer that its all about the defence, I think that has nothing to do with the performance of a keeper (other than psychologically).

I cant keep up with all your collective footy talk, way top fast and complicated for me.

It seems there is more chatter in the media about the people surrounding the sport than the actual sport. Lots of froth, not much coffee ;\)

I stick to coffee: We won! 3-0 against the Spurs.

I almost forgot about the match last night, got a nasty surprise this morning on BBC. \:\( I'm sure we got all those games on Sky last season, not this season it seems. \:\(

Unlucky Rach, at least Fergie got some nice wine out of it.

So Chelsea vs. Liverpool in the final. Should be fun if Liverpool have any strikers left by then... How many are you trying to get through in a single season scouser?

Then again just seen this http://football.guardian.co.uk/rumourmill/index/0,1451,1399809,00.html Bellamy!!! eek.gif Should liven things up

>>>>>>

Tottenham have made a £3m bid for want-away Crystal Palace winger Wayne Routledge (Daily Mail), though - according to The Sun, Star and Express - Spurs are prepared to wait until the summer before going in for their target, when he will be out of contract.

What you think db?

Quote:
Originally posted by big-will:
>>>>>>
Tottenham have made a £3m bid for want-away Crystal Palace winger Wayne Routledge (Daily Mail), though - according to The Sun, Star and Express - Spurs are prepared to wait until the summer before going in for their target, when he will be out of contract.

What you think db?
hmmm, I'll have to research this before I say anything. So far my footy commentary consists of mentioning the match score. Any more techy than that and I fold.... \:\)

The quadrable is ridiculous. We haven`t even won anything yet. I reckon we`ll win the premiership. Probably win the coca-cola. 50/50 on the FA cup and make the last 4 of the Champions but don`t think we`re too likely to win it. A double maybe a triple if we`re lucky.

Just winning the premiership would be awesome. The last time was 50 years ago and this time would mark our centinary. You`ve got to love that symmetry.

Anyone see Rooney`s goals yesterday? Supposed to be stunners.