Something I've noticed watching the Olympics

First of all, it's been a good day watching. The moving company was over today doing an assesment of stuff (again - long story) and I either sat on the couch or on this computer doing my thing.

In watching the past few days, a familiar thing has come up - a lot of these athletes, no matter what country, have atteneded college in the US.

Just thought I'd point that out \:\)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They go there to learn to do drugs, cheat, and whine.

Quickly, somebody put the lid back on this thread! lol.gif

So Prucky, you were too busy sitting on the couch to keep your dumb cursor off the quote icon...

Is it jealousy or contempt? Such an anti-US vibe on here. Why? Can anyone answer me that? Anyone?

cal, where did you go to school? It's a shame to attend school in the US? You may want to lecture some of the Japanese then. Give them a piece of your mind.

O11 - "hey go there to learn to do drugs, cheat, and whine." You're talking about some of your countrymen there. They have to go elsewhere to learn how to be good at something. It's the truth.

I'll take a random stab in the dark and guess that it is because there is a lot of money for sports scholorships in the US. In NZ if you are not playing rugby or cricket then you can't expect any sort of financial support - espically winter sports.

I'm not complaining though, the last thing my tax money should be spent on is sports, especially rugby or cricket.

Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:
Is it jealousy or contempt? Such an anti-US vibe on here. Why? Can anyone answer me that? Anyone?

I'll have a go at that! I think to a small extent it is caused by contempt for the current US administration and their neo-con excrement, and a large part because you set yourself up for it dude. I have been reading your posts on this forum for a long time and have tried to keep out of it, but when you make it so obvious that this is a touchy area for you, combined with quite a bit of drum beating on your behalf for the good ol' US of A, then some people can't help but have a go at you. And don't start at me for being anti US because I am starting my next job there at the start of 2005, so I am not.

You set it up mate, some people will try to knock it down.

Basically US arrogance gets on everybody else's tits.

No Dims, wrong answer, it's jealousy. That's why you're going there. Gotcha!

Something I noticed watching the Japanese coverage of an Olympic women's breast-stroking event in which one of 'our' girls seems to have done well, was somebody, maybe our girl in fact, doing a subtle but noticeable dolphin kick... ahhhh...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dims:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:

I'll have a go at that! I think to a small extent it is caused by contempt for the current US administration and their neo-con excrement, and a large part because you set yourself up for it dude. I have been reading your posts on this forum for a long time and have tried to keep out of it, but when you make it so obvious that this is a touchy area for you, combined with quite a bit of drum beating on your behalf for the good ol' US of A, then some people can't help but have a go at you. And don't start at me for being anti US because I am starting my next job there at the start of 2005, so I am not.

You set it up mate, some people will try to knock it down.

Basically US arrogance gets on everybody else's tits.
Here's a good quote for you Ocean Ereven :rolleyes:

dims, to an extent what you say is true. From day one on here, however, I've been posting from my heels. Christ, I know a few Americans on here that have had to do the same thing. When you have egotistical maniacs attacking and a bunch of their countrymen agreeing with them, what are you to think? Christ, I've got Ocean making fun of me about Alaska! Alaska! O11 can barely even snowboard and he's making fun of Alaska???? I'm sure he's been though.

Quote:
I think to a small extent it is caused by contempt for the current US administration and their neo-con excrement
Jesus, I've argued this point enough. Even when I agree with O11 or DB, I still get railed. In their eyes, I'm American and evil. If I don't own the latest Spice Girl or Kylie album, I'm evil.

Good luck in the US. You'll be welcomed with open arms and have no problems. It's too bad the rest of the world isn't as open minded as the US is to foreigners. We're not all George Bush supporters nor supporters of the current 'war'.

One last thing:

Quote:
the last thing my tax money should be spent on is sports, especially rugby or cricket.
Captain Stag - if you have no clue, please don't comment. You think big time college athletics is fully supported by tax dollars in the states?

Ready and willing for the next knockdown.....

Cal, although its not exclusive, this is sort of a site for "sport people" At least,boarders, skiiers, telemarkers, etc....that is sort of our common thread..along with being foreigners and wanna be English speakers...we basically are athletes. Now, why don't you be a good girl and go join the kind of forums that your kind ..well, join. wave.gif

And Dimwit (Dims for short?) What's gonna be your US address in 2005 I'd love to welcome you to the good ol' US of A in person, friend. Tinny little bit of advice, don't call your new US of A male friends 'mate'...k- love? ;\)

Im not anti US im anti bush.

Plucky your a proud American and that is fine but when your at the top of the pecking order your gonna take shots.

I really dont care where they go to school. What Ive noticed is the lack of people in the stands, why build an arena for 5000 to seat 50.

This whole thread started with one simple preface - a lot of international athletes attend school in the US. People obviously have a problem with that. Live with it. US Uni's are better than the other crap served up around the world. Don't believe me? Do a search for PhD programs and see what you find out.

Oh well. Dims, I'd be happy to meet you also. Kintaro and I are great at welcoming new folks in to the US, who hate the US, but just want to profit off of the US.

Fattwins. Just watched a pretty good talk by J. Kerry. Dind't agree with it all, but such an improvement over the chimp (aka Bush) Hey, I think Kintaro and I actually disagree on some points. OH MY GOD. Disent in the ranks. It's called freedom of thought. He's still a good friend. It's too bad others on here can't open up and be more accepting. (not you FT).

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
What Ive noticed is the lack of people in the stands, why build an arena for 5000 to seat 50.
I've noticed that myself. Judo was packed, but gymnastics was empty. Same with softball and a lot of other sports.

Hey, the athletes are still there, doing their best. I'm enjoying watching them all. That Chinese mixed table tennis duo kicked some ass! \:\) (honestly, I watched most of it)
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Tinny little bit of advice, don't call your new US of A male friends 'mate'
No, call them Seppos.

Plucky - I think you suffer from some type of paranoid insecurity. You keep mentioning me in your posts yet I almost never even respond to your posts. "Anti America, db this, Ocean that..." you are carrying on like a 2 dollar whore. Pull you pants up and stop looking for reasons to have a cry. Someone pokes fun at Alaska and its all tears and unfair sport. The list goes on.

As for Cal's comments, I agree. Screw sport people as a generally dopy bunch of dullwits. Skiing/snowboarding to me has very little to do with sport. It is a lifestyle. Just because it makes you sweat and is outdoors does not make it a sport. It is like calling surfing a sport when it is not at all. I am certainly not on this forum because I like sport.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dear Britain:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Tinny little bit of advice, don't call your new US of A male friends 'mate'
No, call them Seppos.

Plucky - I think you suffer from some type of paranoid insecurity. You keep mentioning me in your posts yet I almost never even respond to your posts. "Anti America, db this, Ocean that..." you are carrying on like a 2 dollar whore. Pull you pants up and stop looking for reasons to have a cry. Someone pokes fun at Alaska and its all tears and unfair sport. The list goes on.

As for Cal's comments, I agree. Screw sport people as a generally dopy bunch of dullwits. Skiing/snowboarding to me has very little to do with sport. It is a lifestyle. Just because it makes you sweat and is outdoors does not make it a sport. It is like calling surfing a sport when it is not at all. I am certainly not on this forum because I like sport.
Yes, no negativity from you - ever.

DB, I'm sorry you can't recognize what exists, because you come from a country with shitty mountains. From what I've seen, there are only a couple of really good skier/boarders on this site. You obviously suck. Why would I listen to a damn thing you have to say on the subject? You can't surf, you can't board.....you're just a jingoistic asshole.

Quote:
Screw sport people as a generally dopy bunch of dullwits. Skiing/snowboarding to me has very little to do with sport. It is a lifestyle.
Quoted from DB.

If it's such a lifestyle for you, why in the hell did you move to frickin' England? You're a dumpy nerd who can't do shit in any sport and you're bitter about it. A lifestlye?? In Japan?? Give me a break. You have absolutely no idea, do you? I'm sure you've been to BC and Alberta and Garmisch and Aspen and Lake Tahoe and Austria and Hood and Baker..... A snow genious you are! No wonder you and O11 get along.

You want to talk surfing also??? Shut the hell up. Come to the north shore of Oahu with me. I'll show you a workout. You choose asshole - sunset or pipe. I'll lend you a board. Hell, I'll give you my good board. You make it back in alive and tell me it's not a sport or a workout.

Am I bragging? No. It's called experience. You shoot your mouth off and believe there are no reprecussions. Well, I challenge you. You want to call me whiney? I invite your dopey, non-sport ass to join me ANY time in any of these pursuits.

...and, here come the smarmy remarks that duck the questions/challenges of the post.....

Quote from Yucky:

"DB, I'm sorry you can't recognize what exists, because you come from a country with shitty mountains. From what I've seen, there are only a couple of really good skier/boarders on this site. You obviously suck. Why would I listen to a damn thing you have to say on the subject? You can't surf, you can't board.....you're just a "

Your on drugs or something mate, what the hell are you talking about? I quite honestly believe that your brain is underdeveloped. How on Earth could you say the above after reading that I speculated that you perhaps suffer from paranoid insecurity. Talk about proving a case. You are so insecure that it is not possible to even understand what the hell you are talking about. What does Australian mountains have to do with anything? How the hell do you know how well I can surf and why is that even mentioned? What has the skill of other skiers/boarders on this site got to do with anything?

dead set, I reckon that after special school you got into college on a sports scholarship... an then studied geology.

Case closed, you're a loony.

Challenges? What the hell are you talking about? I couldn't surf NS Hawaii Pipe or Sunset, no way. And I doubt whether you could either to be honest, I juts get that feeling, you know that I am right and it is annoying you. You spin lies all the time on this site, and get busted for it. Any way, being able to surf Pipe: SO WHAT if a guy cant do that???!! That does not change my opinion that surfing is a lifestyle rather than a sport. Same goes for snow boarding. I took it up in Japan to enhance my lifestyle, not because I wanted sport.

I am lost for words, I just cant fathom that you can say what you do.

Why did I go to England? Besides enjoyment of Europe, especially France my main motivation was career. I will likely fully retire in 5 or 6 years, maximum 8, and then I will indulge in more.... lifestyle of my own choosing at the level of skill and competence that is natural to me, which is of no consequence to my enjoyment of said lifestyle activities... a concept that evaded your 'brain'.

Ocean and I get on? Out of all people he and I have had the greatest level of conflict on this site.

"Dear god, please let Plucky be a natural aberration of in the human species"

That is the first time i have prayed in 20 years.

Now I am going to take it easy now and will stop being a rude prick on this thread. I suggest you try the same. Up to you.

Plucky mate, wanted to stay out of this one but how the hell are you supposed to know how well someone surfs/boards if you never seen them do it?

You seem to be talking yourself up abit and if you are such a frikkin kick ass surfer why don't we see some evidence of it? From what I have seen you ride and egg nose board and that could possibly mean that you are a weekend kook that is so big a kook that you can't ride a short board.

And giving shit about locations?

F%ck i am a surfer and I moved here! thats a joke, sometimes we have to deviate from the lifestyle so that we can enjoy the lifestyle sooner and for much longer.

I think you should chill bro and your puppet mate too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dear Britain:

Your on drugs or something mate, what the hell are you talking about? I quite honestly believe that your brain is underdeveloped. How on Earth could you say the above after reading that I speculated that you perhaps suffer from paranoid insecurity. Talk about proving a case. You are so insecure that it is not possible to even understand what the hell you are talking about. What does Australian mountains have to do with anything? How the hell do you know how well I can surf and why is that even mentioned? What has the skill of other skiers/boarders on this site got to do with anything?

dead set, I reckon that after special school you got into college on a sports scholarship... an then studied geology.

Case closed, you're a loony.
It's called a retort.

Quote:
The psychology of this is obvious. Put down what you can't do. You're a banker, correct? You wear suits and ties, talk on your cellphone and act important? Sounds like the snow lifestyle to me.

If what I've typed is true, why do you even care? You're a classic ****** who is basically an unathletic pile of shit. It's the truth, right? Your only achievments that you can write home about involve 'moving' to Japan and then England. Yay!

Just to let you know, I've been accepted to a few PhD programs (in international locations) but am holding out for U of Alaska, Fairbanks. One of the best in the world for what I want to study. See, athletics and knowledge actually can work hand in hand. I'm sorry that you find that hard to believe.

Oh, and my offers still stand. Surf? Snow? Nice of you to duck it as predicted. Love the name change too - bloody brilliant!
 Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
Plucky mate, wanted to stay out of this one but how the hell are you supposed to know how well someone surfs/boards if you never seen them do it?
You seem to be talking yourself up abit and if you are such a frikkin kick ass surfer why don't we see some evidence of it? From what I have seen you ride and egg nose board and that could possibly mean that you are a weekend kook that is so big a kook that you can't ride a short board.

And giving shit about locations?
F%ck i am a surfer and I moved here! thats a joke, sometimes we have to deviate from the lifestyle so that we can enjoy the lifestyle sooner and for much longer.

I think you should chill bro and your puppet mate too.
You've never seen a pic of me surfing and have no idea what I ride. I'm not sure where you are getting that from. I own a 9'4" Sakal, a 9'0" Cort Gion, a 7' Mike Tuel Epoxy and a 6'5" SB from some dude out here (picked it up used). Also keep in mind I'm 6' and 230 lbs. I like to lift weights. I also lived on the north shore for two years before coming to Japan. I started surfing in Oregon back in '92. Not the best pedigree, but better than others talking smack about surfing.

I've seen pics and footage of both DB and O11. they suck. simple as that. Screw them, I've taken enough crap from those guys. Honestly, they are beginners at best on the snow. I'm a damn good skier and I'm not ashamed to admit it. You haven't seen me much in the vids on here because I do most of the filming. It's been a hobby of mine for a few years. In three years on this board I've never 'claimed' a damn thing. I'm sick of their crap. They want to talk skiing or boarding or mountainboarding or surfing, let's do it in person. A lifestyle for a brit or oz though? ummm.......

Indo, you strike me as a good guy. Please don't call my friends puppets, however. You really have no idea what you're talking about. I'll 'chill' when the attacks stop. Hell, I can't even make a normal post on here without some jackass having something degrading to say.

>>Honestly, they are beginners at best on the snow.

I have ever actually claimed otherwise. No shame in being a beginner. I never doubted, wondered about or questioned your skill on the snow.

Being not very good and being from Australia does not diminish my ability to enjoy the outdoors lifestyle offered by snowboarding. Simple as that. Whats your point anyway?

Only been surfing since 92? From orogan?? Only 2 years in Hawaii??? Hmmmm, i reckon you are an average surfer at best, but so long as you get great joy from surfing, what does it matter? Not one bit. By the way, i have seen the pic of the egg nose that Indo mentioned. (I suspect that indo is a better than excellent surfer, just my gut feel)

Me, an unathletic pile of shit? No, wrong, very good chance that I have greater physical endurance than you and have likely tested it to the limit more times than you in the Army.

Yes, I wear a suit at work.

I also suspect that you are suggesting that an Australian has no right to comment on surfing being a lifestyle. Think about that for a moment. I think we do have right to comment on surfing.

Well done on the PhD's.

Quote:
Originally posted by guzzlers-baps:
Testosterone fuelled thread.
I am ashamed, but I think you are right. Just to keep the ball rolling I am going to do potentially the dumbest thing I have ever done on a public internet forum. These pictures are however all of me BEFORE I had testosterone, let alone decent pubic hair. So hopefully this is not mistaken as an attempt at a macho pissing contest.

Plucky, for your benefit:
Me. 1981. 9 Years old and very skinny.
This is the second day i surfed and strugling to stand up.
IMG_0616.jpg

I was 12. Not a big wave but almost double my height. remember, I was 12 years old at the time.
IMG_0610.jpg

13 years old. It was easter. Sure, in hawaiian terms this is small.
where i came from it was almost 1km off shore,
freezing cold and easily triple over head, thick and heavy,
I was less than 5 foot tall.
By far the biggest wave I had surfed at that age.
IMG_0608.jpg

This pic is from the same same day.
sorry, not as good as hawaii.
Thats not me in the closeout shore break,
thats me out the back. It was 17 years ago.
IMG_0611.jpg

Now I know these pics are pretty lame and I would never show them in an attempt to show off. However in my first couple of years on a board, before I had pubic hair, I reckon I was surfing waves that you might struggle to tear up now. So please Plucky, shut your mouth.

Yes Plucky, there are more recent pictures, and much bigger waves. But I thought the first few years made for better viewing. No Plucky, this has nothing to do with snowboarding ability. It has to do with your call on surfing.

(The pics are crap quality as I took digital photos of the very old printouts in my crumpled old photo album. Thanks to my dad for driving me up and down the coast and camping in the freezing storms looking for the good banks and offshore days and taking pictures when it was too big for him in his old age to surf. What a lifestyle \:\) . For the benefit of Dims, the first pic is Boat Harbour, the second is that right hand point south of Scamander (2 mile beach?) and the last two are at Lighthouse.)

To everyone else: Please excuse me if this post was the dummest you have ever seen. i just couldnt handle it any more.

Before this thread deteriorates any more.... a call for calm.

Please - let's keep insults and the like off the forums.

We don't want to have to consider closing the thread (or anything nearly as controversial as that ;\) ) right now, but ask that if you can't post on subject without using insults please refrain from posting.

Let's try to keep it good-natured.

Thanks.

\:\)