the good, the bad, and the ugly - my first column.

I was interested to hear the name Nike here. The reason is, if you look at the Hakuba forecast on snow-forecast.com you get a popup (google toolbar won't stop it) for a new Nike jacket with a built-in walkie-talkie. It has one dude riding some nice backcountry pow who says "This powder's awesome." His mate then says "Yeah. I'm right behind you". I often check that page for the weather, and everytime I see it, I keep thinking surely you're not supposed to ride "right behind" your mate in a steep open bowl like the one in the advert....

Anyway, this is from the top of Hakuba Norikuradake (2436m) today, looking towards Shiroumadake. The snow fell two days ago and was quite firm, but was definitely knee-plus in parts.

userpic9524pic114182383aa71e6.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by bcoasis:

It is no big secret which magazine it is but I do not want to say until it has gone out because I have named a Ski Areas Patrol which belongs to a company that manages to keep about a dozen deaths a year on their 4 fields in this area out of the media. A similar comment was made by someone in Hakkaido some years ago and according to the magazine editor it resulted in them basically being chased out of town.
bcoasis,
What I understand from this comment is that you have made the comment so if you reveal the mag either now ot later that you will still be run out of town wakaranai.gif

No, just a hike. That trail starts at top of Tsugaike (after riding the big cable car that's closed in winter), so it's harder on the pocket (2900 yen!) than the legs. There was only one other person who went as far as Norikura, and I was lucky enough to bump into him just in time for my peak photo. The poor bloke proceeded to slip on the snow and fall on his arse just before he took it. The weather has been so crap this autumn that I've been trying to make the most of every fine day.

tugaike.gif

I turned back at the lake (Hakuba Oo-ike) at the 3.5km mark.

userpic6323pic1241824e7c827fc.jpg

Connackers, I neglected to mention that I thought you made a very valid point concerning reactions to posts that discourage new comers to posting or expressing their opinion. I am an inactive member of a couple of other forums that are audio and jazz related. The reason I don’t participate as much as perhaps I would is that there is always some ‘cracker’ who feels the authority to comment on everything regardless of whether it’s a subject or topic which relates to them or not. More often than not, it doesn’t relate to them but their zeal perhaps mixed with a degree of whatever frustration they have prompts them forward. May I be so general as to suggest we all are guilty of this at one time or another? Personally, I don’t mind any comment, criticism, etc on the one and only condition that what ever that may be or however they want to put it, that they would express the same thing in the same manner if it were a face to face conversation. Unfortunately with forums and email there is a tendency to hide behind the perceived anonymity and distance which I think often drags the discussion sideways and sometimes the point is lost. Perhaps most regretfully people new to the group and other potential contributors hesitate in the face of reactions from people who obviously are not participants in the actual subject offered for discussion and consequently do not know their ‘arsehole from their elbow’. Best wishes for the coming season and I hope you find the forum helpful in whatever type of snow sports or interest you pursue.

Indosnm, nice one; actually I have been in the ‘bad books’ and the top of their black list for years now. It’s all about fortitude and despite one of the other contributors snide remarks about the editors putting my opinion to print there will be a certain amount of grief. If they run me out of town, they might be doing me a favour; in that case I will probably move to Russia.

Mr Wiggles you make a good point and what you are getting at is correct in general. The only concern and debate I had on this article from the editor was about the specific mention of a companies ski patrol and the mention of Nike. I insisted on mentioning Nike because I felt they had stepped up to the plate and sponsored a worthwhile program. If a majority or even a few other makers had shown such a commitment, they would not have stood out. We don’t always get it right and obviously they haven’t with the advertising you are mentioning but I am not anything to do with Nike and if I was I wouldn’t actually be mentioning them in the article as that would be a conflict of interest.

Gay-baiting, was it really? I don’t think so Cornflake but whatever parts your hair. Trust you are enjoying your best of Duran Duran Collection. Are they any good?

Excellent! Another amateur psychiatrist on the forum.

Well, I look forward to reading more of your educational materials so that I might learn something that I haven't seen 20 times.

BTW, you probably shouldn't invite criticism of your work if you can't actually take it without resorting to psychoanalysis of the critic. And if you keep calling me Cornflake (which I doubt you would do to my face) I shall start calling you bdoasis, which is short for 'backdoor oasis'.

Montoya, thanks for the recommendation. I'm still trying to make a point about the content of this website rather than casting around for other reading material.

Actually I would call you Cornflake to your face and the couple of people on this forum that know me would probably say that was tame for me. Anything I write is always more conservative than my expressions in person. If you want to call me bdoasis or whatever and that's what will help you put your cheese back on your cracker - then by all means, fill your boots.

Getting off-thread here, but I'm somewhat curious, why the reluctance to look at BC materials (books, other websites, etc) which several people here have recommended, but are unfortunately not on this particular message board?

That's great Yuki's Passion - even a couple of asses can kiss and make up. One of the asses however seems to be looking sideways a bit - could this be a case of the other one having bad breath I wonder ;\) . Can you clarify?

Did I mention a book? I seriously forgot if I did. bummer.

True story today.

Hozugawa kayaking with my mate tatsuya. The river last week flooded pretty big. After this big flood the river changed a slight bit. A few log jams here and a rocks that, Id never seen before. Great day of something new on the river, that wasnt the same old river.

but at the end of the river

The rafting company 10 mins ahead of us found a 50-year-old man floating in the river. This man was barely alive from the way I saw it. they evacuated him while we waited to make sure to stay out of the way. freaky.

Neither my mate or I had anything to help him. I didnt even bring my first aid kit. The rafting company had 2 good first aid kits, and by all accounts re-acted very well. They had all THEIR paying rafters cover him up, while someone dashed up to the phone.

I learnt something today.

montoya, I probably won't be going anywhere backcountry for a while - maybe in a few years when my son doesn't still want to go everywhere with me, and if there's still snow around here (it was mighty warm here today, and the mosquitoes are still biting...)

But I'd be interested to read some good writing on this website, if somebody could provide it. I enjoyed other people's articles and postings about climbing Fuji and Hotei-san. They shared a bit of joy around and didn't condemn everybody else. So I'll say it again just in case anybody missed my point; if bcoasis had written about his nice day out, I wouldn't have criticised it. Instead, he wrote a condemnatory, boring rant and invited negative criticism of it so I obliged him. But that doesn't mean I want to buy a book or go to another website to read about BC which would unlikely be about Japan in English. I like this website, and if there are BC people here who have something interesting, let's see the goods.

I expect Dear Britain could put something worth reading together when he gets hisself sorted out.

no they are all over the place man. so bad. I started out with an idea, then tried to change it twice while writing. Not very effective I will get something done I just need....... to stick to one thought I drift too much.

I was trying to write something on stoke but it is jiberish even to me. Was thinking about writing an opinion on certain resorts but I dont have enough under my belt. So Im back to old stoke memories or mental side of adventurous sports.

a good read is "Free Riding in Avalanche Terrain: A Snowboarder's Handbook" by Bruce Jamieson and Jennie McDonald, published by the CAA. it's just as relevant to skiers as it is to snowboarders. somebody mentioned this handbook on this thread or another one... anyway, it's a good primer on the BASICS of backcountry riding. personally, one of the most important things about going into the bc is understanding and ACCEPTING the riding/skiing/telemarking level of everyone in your group as well as their level of knowledge. it's key to decide as a group what peoples can and cannot handle. if a slope is too difficult for someone, or they haven't learned how to dig a snow pit, it'd be better if they didn't go.

i wrote and article on a backcountry course i took in hokkaido four years ago when i was a JET. scroll down half the page and click on "Niseko Avanlanche Course" under the Northern Japan heading:

http://www.outdoorsig.com/articlesall.htm#

Ocean, it's nothing compared to articles fattwins and connackers posted, but it'll give you an idea of what's available in Japan.