Priced out of the new TV market

It used to be that you could get a fairly large TV (28-31 inches say) for about 3-4 man. You still can, in the US...made by Japanese companies no less.

But in Japan, these standard non-flat TVs have been taken off the market to force you into paying at least triple the price for the dubious pleasure of watching television.

"Mooo..." Let's pretend there was never anything cheaper...we're too good for it now. The screen had--good heavens!!--a slight curvature!! Terrible. Who could ever want one of THOSE.

200,000 might get you a tiny 23-inch LCD or plasma screen...or you can drop 9 or 10 man on a flat-screen standard model.

There's no sweet spot in the market anymore. What about someone who remembers a 30+ inch TV for 3 man? And actually bought one here in 1999, then bought one in the US in 2003? ANSWER: you don't get to watch TV much anymore. Maybe this is a good thing.

Sure I want a 50-inch plasma model. Me and everyone else... But when I get to the store on too much coffee and in an impulse-buying mood, I just can't bring myself to buy any TV remotely that expensive.

I mean, come on. Is there anything on TV or DVDs that is going to make me feel better about dropping $3000+ on a television ?! I understand retail is all about revenue per square meter, but this is crazy. Who are all these people dropping thousands on TVs that used to cost them a fraction of that?

Sheesh.

\:\(

my wife works for a reform company so we can get most things for free. got a 25" tv yesterday as a second tv for the inlaws when we sleep over. Got a new washing machine that way 2 weeks ago.

The flat screens are a joke but that have and will come down more as the companies start to really slug it out.

And who would want a plasma screen tv anyway???

well I do \:D but Im not paying that much money for one espexially with what Ive heard about the reliablity of the current generation screens, some of them lasting less than 3-4 years before deformation and/or bleeding of the plasma. Conveniently this time period is usually outside the manufacturers warranty.

If anyones heard of different please correct me

Maybe I didn't say it right...

I like TV enough to spend about 2 man for a 28+ inch model. I did that a few years back here in Tokyo, and I did it a couple years ago in the US The trend used to be, every year they got cheaper and loaded with more and more features.

Now there's a new trend...the TVs all got "better"...in fact, they are too good for me.

I just can't see spending more than 2-3 man on this. With the tedious crap on TV, I don't watch much. A DVD is nice once in awhile, esp. now that we have a new baby and don't go out evenings anymore.

But if I have to make it an investment, then count me out.

TVs. They moved to the Ritz, and I am still living in a rented place.

Mine's too good for me, but I'll live with that. \:D I got a fab deal on a 42inch plasma last year.

Do I watch Japanese tv? Almost none.

Do I watch DVDs, and hi-vision movies, sky etc - hell, yeah!!

Will it burn out in 4 years? I don't know. I'll just site back and enjoy it for right now. \:\)

42 inch plasma

eek.gif

Wow!

Makes me want to rent sci fi DVDs..! I can smell the popcorn now...

Maybe I'm revealing too much about my age here, but here goes...

"TV party tonight!

TV party tonight

Got nothin better to do

Than watch TV, and have a couple of brews.."

\:D