Because they don't know about composting. Perhaps you need to talk to your local representatives about the harmfulness of burning and the benefits of alternatives. There's lots of info on the web in Japanese about composting.

I am not condoning this at all but...

you have to think about how much waste a farm will produce in a year. The composting process doesn't happen over night. Then what are they supposed to do with the soil? I don't see many Japanese house wanting to put in nice green lawns.

Wouldn't the composting stop though when the ground freezes? And in places in the mountains where some of you are saying the vallies are full of smoke the ground is going to be frozen in a few months for the winter.

I know with worms that in the winter they all move to the centre of the composter as a survival technique using eachother for body heat in a huge worm orgy. Not much composting going on then is there.

My mom had a worm farm for a few years. I don't know about the orgy bit but they have to do something to pass the winter months.

Quote:
Originally posted by Telleboy:
now that its harvest time, every farmer round is burning their rice stalks and the beautiful valley of Hakuba is now choked out with smoke.
Bastards. mad.gif
Hey Telleboy I just figured out who you are! boy I am a thick twit sometimes. You must have short memory of farmers around Methven burning off their stubble. You should be used to the smoke ;\) , rice stalks, wheat and barley stalks they all burn

Hey snowglider, havent worked out who you are yet, but yeah the good ol` Methven red necks burnin their stubble bugged me too, Im lucky Im from a dairy farm, just smelt cow shit all day. Ever want to visit Hakuba just give us a hollar.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Wouldn't the composting stop though when the ground freezes? And in places in the mountains where some of you are saying the vallies are full of smoke the ground is going to be frozen in a few months for the winter.

I know with worms that in the winter they all move to the centre of the composter as a survival technique using eachother for body heat in a huge worm orgy. Not much composting going on then is there.
My mom had a worm farm for a few years. I don't know about the orgy bit but they have to do something to pass the winter months.
Mate, do they do composting at like

Under
feet
feet
feet
feet
feet
feet
?
Maybe no wakaranai.gif