anybody ever rented snowmobiles for the Japanese BC? i did a search or three on the forum for any past threads, but i didn't find anything.

looking for anyone with experience or stories to tell about going to the BC on snowmobiles....

Snowmobiling is not that big here in honshu. You need to have access to get the mobiles into the BC. There are no many logging roads here. Also you need a powerful sled. rental sleds are usally underpowered. Also going inot the BC without knowing how to put a track or belt onto your own sled is not something that you should do.

I wouldn't say that there arn't a ton of logging roads because there actually is. In my area at least. It's one of the main industries.

I think the problem would be that the hillsides are so steep that the snow would just cover the road in the same angle as the hillside. Not sure if that makes sense.

I can't really see getting into the alpine on a snowmobile. Well not in the North Alps at least.

But I think if you could get up the logging roads you might be able to score some pretty sweet trees.

Also have to get past the gates somehow as well. Some of them are pretty burly.

I could see a mobile being good at Tsugaike. The Problem that I see is how to get it into the alpine. If you could use the resort and then park your mobile there for the winter you could access sick terrain fast. I highly doubt the resort would ever let a mobile get up there.

Anyone know where to buy sleds in Japan and how much they cost?

Where I used to work on a mountain in Hyogo they used to leave the keys in all the bikes and we would stealth out at night and chase each other around on them....great fun until someone wrote one off and we all had to pitch in to cover it...it was worth heaps supposedly....That guy still owes me 25000 yen....

Fattwins, a good used sled is around 6-700,000; mine new were around 1.2m. When I bought, it was the first year Arctic Cat had fuel injection and they were the only ones to have efi. I thought that was a worthwhile reason for buying new. There are quite a few efi sled on the used market now; if you want me to recommend or introduce you to my dealer (he's a true petrol head and a great guy) I would be happy to do so. He has new and used but there is a cut off for ordering a new one in June I think.

I have to wonder how driving around the BC on a noisy, smelly, somewhat dangerous and very expensive toy squares with "making a good impression so as to show a good quality level of participation in the backcountry". At resorts, the stink of a snowmobile hangs over a slope for 5 minutes or more after the patrol have been by. How much worse that must be for somebody who has made the effort to get to the BC under their own power.

It only takes one selfish "petrol head" to spoil a mountain, a lake, or a coastline for everybody else. For somebody who likes to talk lightly of other people's rights in the backcountry, bdoasis you're very unconvincing.

Nice one Cornflake, I was starting to get empty yearning feelings in the absence of our affectionate banter. I must say I am pleased the cheese is has not yet found a stable foundation on your cracker. Selfish as it may be but I do so enjoy your insightful, balanced, informed (from practical experience of course), and thoroughly reasonable opinions. There may be other voices out there wondering why your ‘voice’ breaks through (you know what I mean; just like flatulence on a calm, silent, frosty morning) on subjects and activities you don’t participate in. But not I! I for one am utterly convinced that in all your modesty and humility you have spared us from the possibility of anyone feeling in awe or perhaps overwhelmed by operating yourself under the cover (bit like a secret agent) of being a piste rider, not having ridden much recently and not intending to ride much in the foreseeable future.

Having worked on a Patrol I would like to apologise for those stinky, smelly beasts offending your and no doubt multitudes of others nasal sensitivities; I am assuming it must be multitudes otherwise you would not have mentioned it. Regardless, I agree one sensitive nasal passage polluted by those petrol monsters is one too many! You may find unfortunately that Patrols insist on their use as an effective and legitimate safety vehicle which has a very rapid response time compared to Patrollers with a ‘banana boat’. The injured person on the back with a twisted knee might entirely miss your point – but I do not.

Thank you so much for pointing out the error of my ways. However, in my defense I have never ridden one of those abominations in the backcountry on skiing/boarding/telemarking terrain and would never do so. There are those that do but I don’t feel bad about it even when I have hiked up there. Somehow I have never minded sharing my sandpit or toys with others so long as they are operating safely with the appropriate equipment and knowledge. But again I do emphatically agree with you that it does only take one selfish petrol head to spoil a mountain, a lake, or a coastline for everybody else. This is why I believe in education as a means to raise the quality of participation. It really hurts me that you find me unconvincing but I tell you, from my heart that is what I believe. You are like my conscience really, and I am totally committed to correcting the errors of my ways in the hope that one day I may earn your respect.

In the meantime, throw yourself on the snow darling – we all have a chance!

yeah, sounds like there's not much terrain 2 do it in honshuu. i noticed a couple snowmobiling fields close to where i participated in the yuki gassen (snowball fight) tournaments for a couple years in hokkaido, but they were just that--fields. practice for peeps who want 2 go in2 motorcross comps, contests, etc. you get more out of the experience hiking up, you know putting some work into your ride down.

but what's the difference between smelling the afterburn of patrol zooming by on a groomed course and enjoying heliboarding in places like alaska and BC, Canada? you can't really smell the chopter after it drops you off?

> but what's the difference between smelling the afterburn of patrol zooming by on a groomed course and enjoying heliboarding in places like alaska and BC, Canada?

Not having smelt it, I can't say for sure, but at a guess I would say, none. They're both a reminder that you're involved in heavily oil-dependent sports and are polluting what you go to enjoy.

Petrol based machines (save, perhaps, the odd whisperlite stove) should not be allowed in any national park or nature reserve areas for recreation, period. The parks have been set up as protected sanctuaries from the vagaries of modern living, and users should slip in and out unnoticed.

Quote:
The parks have been set up as protected sanctuaries from the vagaries of modern living, and users should slip in and out unnoticed.
Are you sure that's the setup in Japan miteyak ? It's certainly not the case around here. Massive electrical towers blight the view, as does logging roads (which I believe crosses the national parks land).

Actually, it is against the law to ride a snowmobile or motorbike ON the national park land. However, being as one rides a snowmobile on the snow and NOT on the land, there is not a lot that the authorities can do about it.........

"They're both a reminder that you're involved in heavily oil-dependent sports and are polluting what you go to enjoy. "

Ocean, you ever drive a car to the skifields ? How about catch a plane to go to, say, Hokkaido to go riding ?

I am inclined to fully agree with your sentiments concerning National Parks Miteyak. However it’s all about a balance and although what some people do for recreation might not be yours or my ‘cup of tea’, so long as they are doing it with respect to other users and not impacting nature adversely then we have to tolerate.

There is a group of snowmobilers who during spring ride in from Tsunan and over to Kagura into the backcountry where I ski. It’s not where I would ride mine because it has other users and tracks that go through the spring melt freeze cycle can be an interesting surprise when you hit them. Sure it kind of pisses me off when they rip up the snow but I’ve had the best of it all season by the time they come out. What did cause me to have a ‘polite’ word with them was when they dropped all their lunch rubbish at their arse a couple of years ago; I offered to demonstrate on one of their numbers what the All Blacks are famous for in rucks.

Being from New Zealand I have been lucky that we have our National Parks but the Parks Department also provide areas and make facilities for dirt bikes, etc. We don’t really have the terrain or snow for snowmobiling. From what I can gather Canada has the same kind of progressive attitude.

While I wholeheartedly agree with you in principle, I don’t think it’s practical unless alternative areas or facilities are provided. It is worth keeping in mind that the National Parks Office in my area for example, would have us all out if they could get their way. That means boarders, skiers, telemarkers, etc.

Where I live now most of the walks/hikes have been turned into tracks with steps. In the case of Tairapio (I’m sure that spelling is a cock-up) it’s steps all the way – I don’t like it, I think it’s an unnecessary and unnatural addition to the existing nature. However if it provides the format where more people get into nature, particularly older people, then those steps are worth enduring.