What do you think about Japanese "aidoru". I think maybe it is different meaning from idol in English (?)

For example, young girl here become "aidoru" almost like title of job, even before popular. Then they can do aidoru work on tv programs and maybe become popular.

Isn't English "idol" meaning more about established popular famous people and it is earnt?

Flicking through some channels the other night I came across a program called "aidoru no michi". Basically had 10 "idols" (young girls - all probably 13-17 yrs old) talking about all sorts of nonsense. I think the topic they were discussing was "Would you prefer a kakkoi and poor boyfriend, or a busu and rich boyfriend". None of them were well-known. (Well, I didn't recognise any of them anyway). There was lots of squealing. And some of them weren't even particularly pretty.

Quote:
Originally posted by akibun:

Isn't English "idol" meaning more about established popular famous people and it is earnt?
It would be nice to think that, but with all of the Pop Idol/American Idol (glorified karaoke) programs on foreign tv, the word is being weakened overseas too.

I was under the impression that Japanese aidoru had to be really young. On that site above, there's some much older ladies in their 40s as well. Are they still aidoru or just aidoru of years gone by.

Naomi Kawashima (?) is 45 and looks better than most of young aidoru on there.