• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, if you rent a Leo Palace apartment (without a garden), you get that rather plain Norika dressed up like a dog's dinner living in your room with you. Unless of course the advertising is misleading.

2004_03cm2.jpg

I'd rather have the daikon and carrots.

200 sq meters or so for us clap.gif We've got a fantastic view of the mountains and a stream running down from them behind us \:\) \:\) . We eat outside most days when its dry \:D . Sansai (especially fuki-no-to) grow naturally out the back. The garden is under snow for four months of the year, and still can drop to freezing or enough to kill your basil in late April.

We're on an alluvial plain so our "soil" is about 85% rocks \:\( , but after various backbreaking efforts, last year we finally paid someone to dig out patches with a digger and now cultivate maybe 40 sq meters in total. If it was my own house, I'd have the whole lot done. We grew quite a bit this year, with pretty good results. Until September at least, the weather was much better this year than last. If you can, it's great eating your own stuff. You can do a lot with planters even, if you've got a spot that gets some sun and put your mind to it.

Coriander grows well here in Nagano from April to October. It's easy to grow from seed.

My dear Wiggles, you should download the Humanure Manual in PDF format here .

hhcoverwline.JPG

Soon you can get those rocks covered in new topsoil. Best to start next spring unless you want a big heap of shit covered in snow though.

\:D

I compost most of the waste from my garden (don't do it all unless you want weeds growing out of your pile) and some of the kitchen stuff, but am yet to look into what comes out of our bodies. It would save us 40,000 a year on the poo truck for starters.

The woman across the road uses rice husks to fertilize her garden. It produces a fantastic light, richly coloured soil. I seem to remember the "100 Meizan" hiker on Outdoor Japan describing a composting toilet on her travels, but am yet to encounter one myself. A bacteria toilet that only needs emptying once a year is the closest as I've come.

The farmers near my parents place put sewage sludge on their fields but that smells really bad for miles around. They mustn't be letting it decompose first.

O11, you should get onto that land next to yuor place! Around our area alot of old retired folk rent land very cheaply to grow their own stuff, I guess a retirement hobby.

Every year I collect the decomposting autumn leave s from the walkways near our park and put it on our garden and it naturally composts itself and over a few years has made a really nice soil.

we do get some silly looks of "what the F%RTYUck are we doing but it's a damn lot cheaper than buying the stuff!

No, not really, it's just there as part of the same plot as the house. The house was built for someone working for a Nagano company and is rented out now since they don't need it. The house is only 70 sq meters. Since I work from home, it's too small.

Judging from other places around here, I doubt the rent would be any cheaper without the garden. It wasn't mentioned when I initially heard about it.

To buy, land like this plot would be 15,000 yen per sq meter (50,000 a tsubo).

• 2 weeks later...

Right, well I'm sorted now. I'm renting a plot on a mikan hillside for 2,500 yen a month. It has 2 mature mikan and iyokan trees on it and 4 new ones, plus lots of other space for growing veg. I got mud on my boots for serious today, breaking up the soil and making raised beds. There are also cherry, persimmon and fig trees that I can plunder at will, and in spring, bamboo shoots.

Digging is great exercise and the hill is a five minute bike ride away. The owner said it's really popular with young girls in mini skirts, but there weren't any there today.

Here are some pics of the plot

IMG_4427.JPG.jpg

IMG_4429.JPG.jpg

IMG_4430.JPG.jpg

I had fun yesterday building a little wall and path. Now that I've seen the results of the US election, I think I'll dig some deep holes into the hill including L-bends.